Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help guys!!!!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help guys!!!!

Trying to decide if I want to do lowering springs and Koni Sports or doing the heater hose mod with the Koni Sports. I'm not looking to drop it in the grass,just get the fender gap a little smaller.I can do the heater hose mod with the Koni sports right? I believe I'm getting a good deal on them(Koni),but not sure if I can post the price?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Red97LT1
Trying to decide if I want to do lowering springs and Koni Sports or doing the heater hose mod with the Koni Sports. I'm not looking to drop it in the grass,just get the fender gap a little smaller.I can do the heater hose mod with the Koni sports right? I believe I'm getting a good deal on them(Koni),but not sure if I can post the price?
I would go with the BMR 1" springs because you will gain in handling from the stiffer spring rates and get a little bit of drop without compromising driveability.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FirebirdTransAm
I would go with the BMR 1" springs because you will gain in handling from the stiffer spring rates and get a little bit of drop without compromising driveability.
I thought BMR were 1.25?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using the lower perch and heater hose mod with the Koni's will get you about .75"/.5" drop without really changing the ride quality of the car. The stock rates work pretty well with the car, and the Koni's definitely change the way the car rides!

If you want more drop than .75"/.5", then springs are the way to go. However, anytime you give up suspension travel, you change the ride of the car. Changing spring rates from 292 lb*in to 550 lb*in is noticeable, not necessarily bad (good for handling), but will be noticeable especially on rough roads.

I guess it comes down to how much of a drop you want and what you want out of the car (comfort, cornering performance, etc.).
Old 09-01-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Red97LT1
I thought BMR were 1.25?
Yes, i think the old design was less.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Using the lower perch and heater hose mod with the Koni's will get you about .75"/.5" drop without really changing the ride quality of the car. The stock rates work pretty well with the car, and the Koni's definitely change the way the car rides!

If you want more drop than .75"/.5", then springs are the way to go. However, anytime you give up suspension travel, you change the ride of the car. Changing spring rates from 292 lb*in to 550 lb*in is noticeable, not necessarily bad (good for handling), but will be noticeable especially on rough roads.

I guess it comes down to how much of a drop you want and what you want out of the car (comfort, cornering performance, etc.).
.75/.5 would be fine with me,anything to help get rid of some fender gap.Since I need new shocks anyways,I figure what the heck.Car is a DD and comfort is the main focus,eventhough I do hug a curve now and then. The shocks are under 700.00 new,so that's a bonus in itself.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my Koni's, and I'm on stock height for now w/ stock springs, but the cornering has improved as has the stability/feel of the car.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like I'm going to do the heater hose mod.I am pretty sure that the amount of drop will be fine for me. My front seems to be lower than the front now anyways.Is that normal? Engine weight I guess.I can take some pics to let you see what I'm talking about if needed. I am thinking that doing the mod will drop the rear even with the front and when the shocks get here the ride will be even better. What ya think?

Search this Thread