Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

WTF with the brake master cap rubber boot???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default WTF with the brake master cap rubber boot???

The cap that came with the car... I removed it to check fluid and could never get it back on. It was torn in 3 places and so expanded that it wouldnt even fit back on the master. I bought a new one and installed it 2 weeks ago. I removed it today and almost the same thing... Its so swollen up that I had to use a screwdriver to keep it inside the master so I could get the cap on....
Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thank brake fluid is continade,
Johnny
Old 09-05-2010, 11:01 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep agree your brake fluid is contaminated.
Need to flush it NOW ! Then get another master cap.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Dam really eh.. The brake pedal does feel messed up when I first brake hard , and it gets hot it sinks a bit then gets REALLY hard and almost feels like brake fade.

I guess I should just get my buddy over and start bleeding away? or should I flush it at GM ?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

stupid master cap is $50 too... ffs I dont want to buy another one... anyone know if they sell the rubber separately?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
stupid master cap is $50 too... ffs I dont want to buy another one... anyone know if they sell the rubber separately?
Search for this: Dorman Part #42072. Rock Auto has it for $5, and the cap for $2.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

wowsers thank you !!

today i was on the way in and going a little fast on a downhill off-ramp and here is the sequence of what happens when I brake hard..

1. Brakes well for about 3 seconds.
2. pedal gets very hard and I press harder to maintain brake decceleration
3. pedal sinks about an inch a few seconds later and I have to brake REALLy hard to get it to stop.

i've only had the car 2 months but here's some things I noticed..

When I first took the brake master cap off the boot was so swollen it wouldnt fit back in. thats why I replaced it.

the fuild was also full way beyond the full mark. I did take some out to below the full mark when I replaced the cap and topped it up with dot 3.

I am thinking to bleed out the fluid tonight when I get home. i have new bottles of wilwood fluid but I think its dot 4 or 5. haven't used it for the vette as its been down for a while.

Does that sound like a contamination issue? what are any symptoms of a bad master / booster etc?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Parents' Jeep had a bad master, and every once in a while when you'd hit the brakes, your foot would go all the way to the floor without any braking happening. Have to pump the brakes 2-3 times to get it to come back to normal, and even then (normal braking), it took forever to slow down.

The easiest thing to do would be to get some normal brake fluid and bleed the entire system to see if that fixes the problem. If it does, run it for a couple days to make sure the brakes stay happy and you don't have any repetitions of the problem, and then you can re-flush with the better brake fluid if you wanted it in there. If a full flush doesn't fix the problem, then look into replacing the master.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

It definitely sounds like you have contaminated brake fluid. Grab a set of speed bleeders and do a full bleed on your system. Its a night and day difference. Just hope whatever is in there didn't deteriorate the seals inside the master cylinder any.

Quick Reply: WTF with the brake master cap rubber boot???