Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks for aftermarket rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shocks for aftermarket rear

I just put a Strange s60 into my car. If I'm not mistaken I have some stock replacement KYB GR-2 shocks. It feels almost like these shocks can't handle the added weight of the s60 over the stock rear. I feel like whenever I hit a decent sized bump the rear will come up and hit the bump stops. Is this normal or do I need to get a different shock? I was planning on getting koni's this summer but having to drop 3 grand on the s60 kinda made me switch directions. Also I have a UMI torque arm and boxed lca. On my 10 bolt I had weld on lower control arm brackets but now on the s60 I don't have them and I'm noticing a lot more wheel hop. Could that also be a result of the shocks? or just because I don't have the lca brackets?
Old 09-06-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I was talking to Sam Strano a couple weeks back, he recommended the Koni DAs over the SAs for the S60, because of the (quite) increased weight of it over the 10-bolt. I wouldn't doubt the KYBs just can't handle the weight.

Increased wheelhop is probably a combination of both the shocks and lack of LCA relocation brackets.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto... I had the KYB gas adjusts.... which is a horrible shock, but I changed to the Koni DA's after discussions with Sam... I never ran the KYB's with the S60 as I changed them at the same time the rear was changed so I can't speak from a direct comparison point of view...but... the Koni's are definately the way to go... I wish they were a little less temperature sensitive (in the winter), but after a few miles to warm up they perform like I set them.

I'm running the S60 with DA's for the rear. I am still running the stock LCA's (no relocation bracket) and stock torque arm for a little over 3 years now and I don't have a problem with wheel hop at all.... I'd say it's the shocks inability to control the weight.

I'd say that Sam will chime in soon, but he's "Gone Racing" at the moment so ..... lol

Quick Reply: Shocks for aftermarket rear