Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Kits with Boyd Coddington Smoothie 2s

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake Kits with Boyd Coddington Smoothie 2s

So I have been wanting to upgrade my brakes for awhile now in anticipation of adding mods to the car. I know you need bigger brakes when you start adding horsepower just not sure if it is needed right now considering my mods are still down the road. I have smoothe 2s on the car and I have no plans to switch wheels anytime soon, I love the look of them on my car. My question, since smoothie 2s have fitment issues galore with bigger brakes, is what is the easiest, cheapest and best way to upgrade my brakes.

Again I am not planning on adding many horsepower mods til later but feel like it would be a good idea to upgrade my brakes now. Any suggestions are welcomed.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock calipers, good rotors/pads/fluid/add in some stainless lines if you want.

You can really improve on stock braking with some nice street pads, such as the Hawk HPS. Add in some good fresh fluid (ATE Super Blue is good stuff) and some nice rotors (there are a variety of rotors available, key thing is to remember that blanks usually offer the best braking and pad/rotor life). Stainless brake lines can help your pedal feel. Basically, you can really improve your brakes without spending an arm and a leg.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What size are the wheels that you are running??

If they are 18's, the CTS-V upgrade is the best bang for the buck and and provides awesome braking performance. For about $800 (less if you find parts used or take-offs), you get Brembo 4 piston calipers on 14" Corvette Z06 Rotors. However, wheel spacers may be required depending on your wheel offset.

If your wheels are 17", your best option is the C5 Corvette upgrade. These kits can be had for around $600-700, check out ws6store.com for more information. They will clear 17" wheels, and use 13" rotors with PBR calipers similar to the F-body ones, but slightly stronger.

Quick Reply: Brake Kits with Boyd Coddington Smoothie 2s