Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

best springs for ride quality (already have kyb agx shocks and rides BAD)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best springs for ride quality (already have kyb agx shocks and rides BAD)

I need some help deciding which springs are best for ride quality only. I don't care about drag launches or cornering, I just want it to ride well. Plz help. I currently run stock springs. I would prefer stock height but would lower the car if necessary. The car is a 93 trans am with 02 front end conversion
Old 09-24-2010, 04:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your gonna get guys that swear by BMR, and guys that love strano. I have some cheap gas shocks from KYB and run the BMR springs and have no problems driving my car. those are the only suspension mods i have done.

I honestly went with the springs that gave my car the looks, more than performance/handling.

But i think the eibach prokit has the best looking stance.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stock springs with Koni shocks. Then if you want it a little lower you can lower the front perch and do the heater hose mod in the rear.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Launching!

Read his whole statement. There won't be any springs out there for ride quality better than stock springs. Lowering springs will just make it worse, check your shocks.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

If you stock springs and the car rides like crap, lowering springs won't help because you've got a shock problem. I know you have AGX's, but that doesn't mean there isn't a shock problem....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, lowering springs have higher spring rates to compensate for the limited suspension travel, thus making bumps/imperfections more firm or even harsh. The best ride quality will come from your stock springs.

I've heard great reviews of the ride quality with Bilstein shocks.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Have you played with the adjustment on your AGX's to try to improve the ride?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:23 PM

Thanks guys for the responses. I actually found the biggest problem and as embarrassing as it is to admit, my tire pressure was really low. Rookie mistake which I am not by far, but an excellent lesson learned. When u hear hooves...
Old 09-25-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Yeah, lowering springs have higher spring rates to compensate for the limited suspension travel, thus making bumps/imperfections more firm or even harsh. The best ride quality will come from your stock springs.

I've heard great reviews of the ride quality with Bilstein shocks.
Originally Posted by Sam Strano
If you stock springs and the car rides like crap, lowering springs won't help because you've got a shock problem. I know you have AGX's, but that doesn't mean there isn't a shock problem....
Originally Posted by PGUFF
Read his whole statement. There won't be any springs out there for ride quality better than stock springs. Lowering springs will just make it worse, check your shocks.
I guess that settles it then...

I have never had a car with the KYB's on them. However, having both a Bilstein HD stock sprung car and a Koni SA stock sprung car, both rode pretty damn well considering that they were 'sports cars.' Won't get a land- barge-Lincoln ride in an Fbody unless you find some really low rate, high travel springs.

You might have to play with the settings on the KYBs some more to dial in the right damping. I don't know what the curves are like for them, but since you have to adjust compression and rebound at the same time you might have to make a compromise somewhere.

Quick Reply: best springs for ride quality (already have kyb agx shocks and rides BAD)