Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

OMG spring install help with pix plz help

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG spring install help with pix plz help

ok so i got the back ones on, then tried installing the front ones.... i think i got the wrong springs shipped to me from eibach... its an eibach pro lowering kit. back went in eh, wasnt too sure, and now when i get the springs on the front strut/shock, nothing lines up. check out the pictures... they appear to be the wrong springs, even the part numbers dont match up...

ok first picture, check the bottom of the BLACK spring, which is the Eibach spring.. the end doesnt match where the end of the stock one does. this in tune does not match up with the boot on the top of the strut and at the bottom of the strut. to me it appears to be one fit only...

now this picture of the sticker on the box labling it as 3870.140

now check the lable on the front spring 3870.001

now check the lable on the REAR spring which is already ******* installed 3870.002

me and my friend are doing this, and we cant see how we fucked up.. did we? or did we get royaly ******* fucked by eibach packaging guys? i need to know asap to decide wtf to do with my damn car. thanks alot guys!!
Old 09-25-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I would expect that the Eibach spring is shorter because it is supposed to lower the car.

When you say it doesnt fit on the shock right. What exactly do you mean? Can you send pics of that?
Old 09-25-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well ya I know is supposed o be shorter. But look at the end of the spring coil. It doesn't match in position to the stock one. I got the stock one back on but I'll use Photoshop to how you what I mean about it not fitting. Nothing on the shock is adjustable so the spring only has one way to fit in the seats. Well the eibaxh one dits but then throws off all the bolts and nothing lines yp
Old 09-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Launching!

You expect 2 different parts to have the same part number? Assuming 3870 is the part number, 001 and 002 are differentiators within that part number. According to Summit Racing, you have the right part numbers but apparently messed something up.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
I would expect that the Eibach spring is shorter because it is supposed to lower the car.

When you say it doesnt fit on the shock right. What exactly do you mean? Can you send pics of that?
Yhea Pros are quite a bit shorter than stock, You want to try and assemble the struts as close to the way they came off the car as possible and make sure the springs are totally seated in the rubber pads and that bushing that looks like a pice of 1/4 in pipe is reinstalled. I always grease the rubber pads first, remount the shock/spring from the top side snug first then if you need to adjust them to get them to line up with Lower control twist it from the bottom end.
You can adjust the spring mounting pads on the struts to fit the spring just twist the bottom of the strut.
from your pic it looks like the spring is 180 out so just twist the mounting pad to where you need it.

Last edited by Anthony Williams; 09-25-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

So its not fitting in the rubber correctly.... Is that what youre sayin?
Old 09-25-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a thought, did you try looking at both eibach springs and comparing both springs to the one stock spring in the pic? like if you swap them around then do they line up? You see what im sayin?
Old 09-25-2010, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Like Anthony said, the bottom perch can spin freely. So line up the upper strut mount with the top of the spring, then spin the bottom perch until it lines up. Done.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to all everyone who helped. i owe you like money lol. i had NO ******* IDEA the bottom perch spun.. it was so dirty it wouldnt spin untill i ******* hulk smashed that bitch. so thank you all, this, is why i ******* love LS1tech. you get mustang ****, you get drama queens, then you get ppl that do what whis forum was meant for, to help and to educate. thank you all very ******* much. i will post pix when im done lol. thx again guys!
Old 09-25-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problem and yea good call Anthony
Old 09-25-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

again, thx all for the help!! you have no idea, so happy with this! ls1 tech rocks!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ looks great. Almost told you to try spinning the perch around, but figured you tried that already and it was a different problem! LS1tech truly is amazing!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Teching In

im gald to say i helped in that project. it was a beating, but fun. i have never lowered a trans am before. i have to say it was pretty easy once we figured out to spin the bottom perch. i dont own a ls1 or trans am (yet) but this project just makes me want one even more. thx guys

Quick Reply: OMG spring install help with pix plz help