Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Right Rear Tire Rubs LCA

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Right Rear Tire Rubs LCA

I've been fighting this problem for a few months now. I have GM Y2K Vette wheels with 275 rubber. The car is lowered 1.5". I went to the track and wheel hopped pretty bad, and the right rear tire started to rub the LCA on right turns, but only with no acceleration.
I started with the obvious - the car is lowered, I need an adjustable PHR. Got that on, centered the rear end, still rubs.
If the rear end is centered left-right, there must be something allowing the rear end to move forward and backwards.
My next step will be adjustable LCA's, then if that doesn't solve it, I'll move to a Torque Arm Relocation setup with a poly bushing to eliminate any slack in the torque arm as well.
Anyone had an issue like this before? Any thoughts?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the panhard bar didn't solve the problem I would recommend looking into a set of off set control arms. The off set control arms use smaller diameter tubing and are offset inward. These can be seen here- www.umiperformance.com/2017OF

How much is actually rubbing? Is it just touching them control arms slightly? Do you have factory control arms?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

There is only about a half of an inch of clearance between the control arms and the tires.
Either body roll or rear end shift is causing it to move over that little bit.
The control arms are factory.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would have to think the factory LCA bushing are shot, allowing excess front/rear movement of the rear-end assembly causing the rubbing.

Either 1LE LCA bushings, or new LCA's with low deflection bushings(poly), rod-ends, or roto-joints, or a combination of the poly and roto, or rod-ends should solve it.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 09-27-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I would have to think the factory LCA bushing are shot, allowing excess front/rear movement of the rear-end assembly causing the rubbing.

Either 1LE LCA bushings, or new LCA's with low deflection bushings(poly), rod-ends, or roto-joints, or a combination of the poly and roto, or rod-ends should solve it.
Would have to agree it sounds like the factory lower control arm bushings are shot and allowing the rear to move.

We have several different variations of control arms for a multitude of applications.

A listing of what we have to offer can be found HERE
Old 09-27-2010, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Good to hear that you guys agree it is probably the LCA's. I figured it had to be a bushing, being that the rub started after wheelhopping badly. Probably broke a bushing in the LCA.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes that makes sense. At first I thought you meant they were rubbing all the time, but if there is 1/2" of clearance sitting than something is flexing and allowing movement.

Quick Reply: Right Rear Tire Rubs LCA