Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drag Bar or Strano Adjustable? *street car*

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drag Bar or Strano Adjustable? *street car*

Thinking about tearing into my suspension since i am basically finished doing the basic engine bolt ons to my 00 Z28. Currently my only suspension modifications has been GC coil overs 550 rate up front 175 out back with bilstein SLP dampers. The plan is to go ahead and change control arms, get relo brackets, panhard bar, etc. However, i'm hung up with what direction i should go as far as a rear sway bar.

My goals and direction for the car are as follows, mostly a street car that will see the track on occasion. After I get a smog in the beginning of next year I will either be going cam only or h/c possibly with a 100 shot. I am mostly concerned with the car leaving straight on the street and I am not sure if the adjustable strano rear sway bar will be adequate. Of course I know that most of Sam's products are directed more towards cornering (although I realize Sam knows his fair share of drag racing suspension set ups as well), but I would think that because his bar can be "adjusted" to be extremely stiff, it would be a decent "drag bar" without having to commit to something such as a MWC/TRZ/Wolfe drag bar. Anyone with experiences using the hollow 22mm Strano sway bar at the drag strip VS a dedicated drag bar? Thanks everyone
Old 09-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

It depends how you want the car to behave and in what application. If you want the car to be balanced and handle well then the adjustable rear from Strano gives you a good chance of achieving that. The Strano adjustable rear at the stiffest setting should improve things at the dragstrip over a stock bar but wont be as stiff as a very large drag bar. With a very large drag bar the car with be loose in cornering. How your car responds to a very large drag bar at the dragstrip may be different than others with different springs, shocks, tires.

I have the old solid (22mm / 7/8") adjustable Hellwig bar (prior to Strano getting hollow bars made for him) and I like the adjustability. I spend much more time doing autocross and set it at the softest setting for better balance and for the drag strip set it at the stiffest setting. It looks like your car may also be setup for handling with the GC coil overs and bilsteins.

This is just my opinion, I like adjustability.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

I guess that depends on whether you want a drag car that drives like a drag car on the street, or a car that handles well on the street and drag races.

A drag bar or any sort is way too stiff for any sort of nice manners when driving it in the real world. In fact once you launch a big drag bar can make the car nasty at the strip if the car makes a move and you have to correct it. I'm sure you've seen cars get into tank-slappers and the inside rear wheel comes completely of the ground? That's because the rear roll stiffness is so massive compared to the front. That's even worse if you have you have no front bar and a sewer pipe for a rear.

I think a 1" bar is a little much for handling, but an adjustable bar allows you to get a stiffer bar like that but not have to be stuck with it all the time.

If you want a rear bar that's a little stiffer than the one I do, then I also carry the Hotchkis which is a little bit more money, but it's also a little stiffer @ 24mm. But it doesn't have adjustable length endlinks either.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the quick responses.

Honestly I have little concern with handling at this point and have absolutely no plans to autocross with this vehicle. However, I am worried about the car being "unpredictable" and unsafe on the street. As Sam stated the extreme stiffness from a drag bar can make the car a little hairy if I need to correct my direction, this is also a concern for me as I do drive the car on the street.

Sam, would the adjustable endlinks benefit me at the strip?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm not sure why so many folks think that you have to autocross or run a road course for handling to be in play....... The limit is the limit, period street, autox, or road course. More variables on the street too. Drive around like Grandma and it's no issue. Drive like I see most guys drive who have fast cars, and it's becomes an issue quickly.

The Adjustable endlinks are there to change pre-load on the car. For handling you want to get rid of it. For drag racing you might want more of it, twisting the bar when the car is static, making the bar stiffer yet (only for the drag strip would you want to do this).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Drag Bar or Strano Adjustable? *street car*