Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

which strut/shock to use

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which strut/shock to use

Im trying to decide which struts and shocks to use. i work in a garage and we use monroe sensatrac shocks and struts. my car is not going to see hard track time anytime soon, but i do need shocks and struts. it still has the de carbon ones on it. i was also thinking about lowering the car a bit. any advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Don't walk but RUN from Sensa-tracs. There was a guy who works for Monroe on another F-body forum telling someone else not to run those on his 3rd gen (the guy was in a similar position as you are). That goes double if you are not going to run stock springs. Sensa-tracs have slots cut in the body that let oil bypass the piston in the first bit of travel. That makes for an old Cadillac ride. Hell you'd be better off on new deCarbons than those!

Best options would be either KYB AGX's or SLP Bilstein's.... I carry both... I even have a set of take-off deCarbons if you want those (way less costly than the other two). Just kicking out options. Whatever you do, and whatever you buy, and wherever you buy them front please don't do the Sensatracs....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's true -- Sensatracs SUCK -- tried them as a replacement for the DeCarbons on my now sold '95 Camaro.

But he did say he is thinking about lowering the car, so that would be Koni SAs then...
Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Teching In

i'm thinking about just going with the slp bilstein/prokit combo.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea i work for Monro and sensetracs are ****. However they are nice for Toyota Camry or something, but not for an Fbody
Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're not up for spending the money on Koni's, Bilsteins are a good choice. However, I would look into some Strano or BMR springs before a pro-kit.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 PM
wrencher

If you want stock replacement get the monroe-matics.
I am in the field I know they push those sensa trac's like crazy to the parts stores.

Quick Reply: which strut/shock to use