Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni 4/4s, Strano springs and 35/22mm hollow swaybars installed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni 4/4s, Strano springs and 35/22mm hollow swaybars installed!

I finally got around to getting this suspension package installed. The front shocks are set 5 sweeps from full soft, rears 1/2 turn from full soft. Sam recommended these alignment specs:

-1.2 camber
Max positive caster - I did a search to see the caster specs others had gotten. I decided on +5.5.
1/16" total toe in

The springs seem to have lowered the car significantly more than the advertised 1.2". I could be wrong though. I'm not complaining - the car looks awesome and handles like it's on rails! It's noticeably stiffer than the stock suspension, but I don't think it rides any rougher than the stock suspension. Everything feels tighter and more connected.

To test the suspension, I picked out 3 local sections of road (in Mexico ) that I thought would provide a good challenge. I tested the car both before and after the suspension install:

1. The first section is an on/off-ramp, consisting of a ~70-degree right hand turn leading into a short straight, then a long decreasing-radius right hander back onto the highway. With the stock suspension, the car had a lot of body roll in the first turn. It had even more roll in the second turn, and felt "nervous" as well, causing me to slow down. With the Koni/Strano setup, I had the accelerator on the floor in second gear around the first turn, trying to break the rear loose or otherwise upset the suspension. Instead, the car ripped through the turn with barely any body roll. I was amazed - the car was stable and planted, setting me up nicely for the second turn. A little too nicely, in fact, since I was moving a lot faster than I thought I would be. I got on the brakes, and the nose didn't dive as much as it used to. I cruised around the second turn, progressively giving it more throttle as the turn unwound onto the highway. Again, the car was stable with tons of grip. Needless to say, I made it around that turn quicker than I ever have before.

2. The second section is on the highway itself. It consists of a ~30-degree left hand curve that drops down into a ~30-degree, slightly banked right hand curve. It's basically a less extreme version of Laguna Seca's "Corkscrew". A long straight leads up to this section. With the stock suspension, I could go through here at approximately 55-60 MPH. With the Koni/Strano setup, I was doing about 70 MPH entering the section. I eased off the throttle, then rolled back on near the apex. I could feel the car understeer just a little, but it quickly recovered and I stayed on the accelerator through the right hander. I stayed a little above 70 MPH for the entire section.

3. The last section is an off-ramp, consisting of a ~45-degree right hand turn into a short straight, then another 45-degree right hander immediately followed by a short left hand turn. With the stock suspension, the first right turn was easy, but the right-left transition would make the car feel like it was barely hanging on. I couldn't really use the throttle until I exited the left hand turn. With the Koni/Strano setup, it was like a hot knife through butter. The first right was easy. I went through the second right, into the left, and got on the throttle much earlier than usual. The car launched out of the corner like a guided missile.

I'm very impressed, to say the least. It's like driving an entirely different car. I've driven quite a few F-bodies, and none of them ever felt as good as this. At the same time, the stiffness and ride of the suspension help keep the "raw" quality that F-bodies have.

I still have a final test, a nice twisty back road that I hope to get some video on. I'll update this thread after I do it.

Other related mods:
BMR Non-adj. PHB and LCAs
19x9.5" HP Lightning Evo wheels
275/30/19 Nitto NT555's

Here's some pics:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Last edited by skorpion317; 10-18-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rear negative camber:

Front negative camber:

Last edited by skorpion317; 10-18-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, congratulations on the new setup! I don't know if I'll upgrade the springs, but I have the Koni 4/4's and definitely want the Strano bars, it's great to hear one positive review after another....after another....after another!

Car looks great btw!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great. One thing though, the rear suspension doesn't have any negative camber. The rear can shift from side to side due to the panhard bar but the car will not have rear negative camber from lowering.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great
Old 10-19-2010, 06:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wonder what's causing the rear wheels to lean inward then...
Old 10-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Staging Lane

The rear wheels are not leaning in, it is the body panels curving in at the bottom that gives the illusion that the wheels are leaning in.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Rear camber
Old 10-19-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikestypes
The rear wheels are not leaning in, it is the body panels curving in at the bottom that gives the illusion that the wheels are leaning in.
I see it now...I thought it was kind of weird that the rear wheels would have adjustable camber on a solid axle.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:52 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really want to do the same thing with my 95. I have it on my list of things to do, but money for so many projects is always an issue.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Hey skorpion317, thank you for taking the time to post an in depth review on the setup, I appreciate the time you took--and am glad to know I can add you to the list of happy customers!

One thing with the springs. Any drop in height has a big effect on the look. It is not impossible that you car lowered more than 1.2", sometimes that happens. But usually, the number is pretty much spot on and it just looks so much lower to folks. There is no way to tell unless you take before and after measurements---hardly anyone takes before numbers.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Hey skorpion317, thank you for taking the time to post an in depth review on the setup, I appreciate the time you took--and am glad to know I can add you to the list of happy customers!

One thing with the springs. Any drop in height has a big effect on the look. It is not impossible that you car lowered more than 1.2", sometimes that happens. But usually, the number is pretty much spot on and it just looks so much lower to folks. There is no way to tell unless you take before and after measurements---hardly anyone takes before numbers.
Thanks for all your help, Sam! After looking at the before and after pics, the drop doesn't look more than 1.2". I think not seeing the car for a couple days made it look more significant.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

The rear might be a touch lower than 1.2---maybe. But it's certainly not slammed.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I cant wait to get the sway bars.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are those alignment specs standard when switching to this set-up? I thought you could just go get an alignment and be done with it?

Quick Reply: Koni 4/4s, Strano springs and 35/22mm hollow swaybars installed!