Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

E-Brake & E-Brake Handle Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Brake & E-Brake Handle Question

Car is a 99 SS. When I got the car I noticed that when you pull on the e-brake handle if I'm not carefull it goes all the way up and pops and feels loose and then I have to bring it back down and carefully pull it up again. This has happened to me accidently where I pull it too hard and high up to the point wheres its perpendicular to the console and it pops then its loose.

Recently I found that the e-brake doesnt hold the car at all. Sucks when you have a manual. Ive always parked in gear and use the hand brake but noticed that the handbrake doesnt even hold the car when in neutral at all so obviously whats kept the car from rolling in the past when parked is the gear and the e brake has been doing nothing which i thought it was.

So do i need to adjust the tension on the handle and then adjust the rear brake? or might something have been damaged? What should I check for? ex. missing spring,etc... Thanks!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The e-brake is adjusted at the the physical e-brake mechanism, with the wheels, regular brake, and rotor off. ... yes, it is a PITA.

This adjustment is usually only needed when the rear rotors are replaced. (Every bore in them is slightly different.) Your rotors were probably replaced without this adjustment being done.

If you search, you should be able to get the procedure. Basically, you do the adjustment, put just the rotor on, and test the play of the actuator (behind the brake mechanism) with your finger. The adjustment is easy enough - you just have to get the wheel, caliper, and rotor off to do it.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

k yeah the car has drilled rotors which were changed by the previous owner and he might have not adjusted the brakes. Thanks!