Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock Shocks.. What to buy..

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Shocks.. What to buy..

I currently have sesi-tracks on my camaro and boy do they suck.. they suck so bad the bushings that came with em sqeek. im about tired of the squeek and ready for a change..

Just looking for some stock replacements somethign to get rid of the squeek.. My main saving is for a complete exhaust system here in the next month soo im cheaping out on these to save my sanity.. sqeeking is killing me..

Autozone...

Gabriel Ultra/Shock/Strut - Rear
Gabriel Guardian/Shock/Strut - Rear

Advanced auto...

Monroe gas-matic..
sensitrack of course bahhhhh..

pep boys....
sensa trac pfffttt..
monro-matic plus..

Napa...

NOT SHII

O Riley...

kyb- gas shock
all others are monroe shcoks..

man not much of a option at my local peeps huh??

anyways this is what i got around town what would be pretty decent..
Old 10-22-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$420 for HD Bilsteins.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=21&ModelID=8
Old 10-22-2010, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

someone doesn't know how to read..
Old 10-22-2010, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Lol......I've had the monro-matics on some trucks and I liked them alot. I'm running the kyb's on my camaro at the moment and theyre good for the money. Of course they replaced the worn out stockers so anything was an improvement. If you can save a tad bit longer to get Bilsteins that would be the best way IMO. Thats my next setup now that I wish I woulda done that the first go round. Some of my buddies have them and their cars ride like cadillac's compared to mine.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

How do you know it's those bushings and not something else? Would hate to have you change your shocks and have that squeak still be there!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
Acutally, I'd do the $409.99 set of SLP's instead (have those as well).

As for the "someone doesn't know how to read" comment. You want to know which of those shocks is good.... None of them are, and that was the recommendation for the Bilstein's. That's the least expensive high quality shock you'll find. Hell, about a week or two ago someone was on a forum saying not to run the Monroe's... and he works for Tenneco (the company that makes Monroe). Napa stuff is made by Monroe. Gabriels suck. KYB has a lousy warranty, but if you go there the GR2's are actually the better shocks than the Gas-A-Justs. But you're going to spend at least $200-250 for shocks that aren't very good. $410 isn't that much for something that will last, and make no mistake--you will need to replace all the others twice before you'd need to replace a Bilstein once.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lswon80
someone doesn't know how to read..
Someone doesn't know how to write. Sorry we're not mind readers. If you have a specific budget in mind then you should mention it. Otherwise I would have said the same thing. Cheaper options on stock springs I'd personally go with the Bilstiens. I'd still try to go for those if you can save up a little extra.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you can't afford to buy the Bilsteins yet then deal with the Monroes until you can, buying any of the shocks on your list IMO, is a waste of money!
Replacing **** with different **** , isn't the answer, really!
Old 10-22-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Alec
I understood what he meant. He was asking what shocks should he pick from on that list that are local to him no mail order stuff
Well we didn't all know he was going to get butthurt if anyone recommended Bilstiens to him. And it's still a good idea if you ask me. Save up a little more, get a way better product for the money. No one should take that personally, unless you are a male having your period
Old 10-22-2010, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Bilsteins really won't cost all that more than many brands on your list and are a much better value.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

hmm. Let's see here. Asked about stock stuff, I know high dollar stuff is better.. DUH. I know its the bushings cause the car started doing it right after I replaced shocks.. ONLY doing the rear.. and yes ill replace **** with **** to get rid of a noise.. 16 30 bucks to get rid of a noise is much better then 400+ any day.. like I said.. buying exhaust.. sorry.. anyways thanks for all the info..
Old 10-22-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Grease the ******* you got and save all your money
Old 10-22-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

hmm. Let's see here. Asked about stock stuff, I know high dollar stuff is better.. DUH. I know its the bushings cause the car started doing it right after I replaced shocks.. ONLY doing the rear.. and yes ill replace **** with **** to get rid of a noise.. 16 30 bucks to get rid of a noise is much better then 400+ any day.. like I said.. buying exhaust.. sorry.. anyways thanks for all the info..
16-30 bucks? I don't think thats going to even pay for those shitty shocks you mentioned, but you might be able to get a few boxes of tampax.

I would do what ^he said.. check and make sure it's not a bushing squeaking or something first. Then you might not even have to spend 16 bucks.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

bryan I know what the **** is squeaking and considering i listed the ******* shocks and the stores I would hope I knew what the damn prices are idiot. Quit being a ******* tard and waste your bandwidth someplace else
Old 10-22-2010, 03:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

First, none of those are "stock? Second, you already bought cheap shocks and you clearly don't like them. Third, bushings are rubber grease the damned things if you think that's what the noise is and you like what you have. Fourth, don't get crabby when you ask for advice about what is better and nothing among your choices are all that good, and don't like the advice you are given.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-22-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

KYB Gas-A-Just are on sale on Tirerack.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

bryan I know what the **** is squeaking and considering i listed the ******* shocks and the stores I would hope I knew what the damn prices are idiot. Quit being a ******* tard and waste your bandwidth someplace else
What the hell is it with all the vaginas that come on this forum lately? You give them good advice and they whine and cry about it if you don't give them the answer they want to hear.

Ok then.. go buy some Monroe's from pep boys. That should do the trick *pat on the back*
Old 10-22-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

lol I love the irony...
So you bought shitty shocks, and now they squeek (big surprise) and you want to replace one (or all of them) with other shitty shocks that are known to fail.
For starters the pricing you are quoting ($16) is for one rear shock (Gabriel right?), while the price being quoted for Bilstiens is all 4 shocks. One rear bilstien HD is right under $100 from autozone.
Now of course if you just replace one shock (depending on what shock you go with) it may be really noticeable in that one corner you replace, and thats going to make the car feel weird, so you present yourself with another problem.

Let me ask you something, you are looking to buy exhaust right? What if, say for example, you want to buy new exhaust because the exhaust you have now has rusted through and has numerous holes in it, and if you research this is what that brand is known to do. Now you could replace it with the same quality brand, get no performance/sound gain and again get rust and holes later. Or you could get a quality brand for a little more money, get a huge performance gain, and better sound, and never rust. What would you go with?
Old 10-22-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you only want to spend $30 max a shock, LS1Tech probably isn't the place for you to be hanging out. If you want to be cheap, buy a can of white silicone lube, spray the **** out of the new bushings, and repeat when they start squeaking again. A can of that costs about $6. You could even step your game up a notch and buy a tube of synthetic grease, that might be about $8.

The only reason I posted the Bilsteins is because you didn't specify that you only wanted to replace the rear shocks, I didn't think anyone on a performance forum would seriously consider buying Monroe or Gabriel shocks for their car, you were bitching about how much the parts store shocks suck, and at no point did you say you only wanted to buy from a local store.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those Monroe Sensatracs are HORRIBLE for a sports car, go return them, or exchange them at least under warranty. I put them on a '95 Camaro I used to have and regret it. SLP Bilsteins are SO much better, and not all that pricey -- do yourself a favor and get a set of all four Bilsteins.

Problem is, many folks think their local parts stores actually have decent choices, and for SOME stuff they do, many others -- NO WAY.

Quick Reply: Stock Shocks.. What to buy..