Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunk coming from front end, relating to reverse & brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 05:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunk coming from front end, relating to reverse & brakes

I am getting a clunk coming from my front end relating to alternating between reverse and forward, and braking.

I can duplicate the clunk by driving in reverse for a few feet, then driving forward. When I brake to come to a complete stop while either in reverse or a forward gear, it will clunk from both sides of the front end right before stopping, and I can sometimes feel a fast, but very small jolt in the car when the clunk happens. The volume level of the clunk can vary from subtle to a pretty loud and embarrassing clunk.

The weird part is that I can drive the car in stop and go traffic for miles and miles, and it wont clunk before braking to a stop after the first time it clunks. Meaning that it will only clunk once, and to make it do it again, I have to drive in reverse for whatever reason. It will only do it when I alternate between reverse and forward. Off-street parallel parking is a good example of when it happens.

Any idea what this is and if it's serious? I am giving the car the beater treatment for now (only fixing/replacing what's absolutely necessary), so my main question is, if it's something that can be put off indefinitely, without consequence?

Car is in signature. The suspension is all stock. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked the calipers and brackets to make sure they are tight?
Old 10-31-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

motor mounts?
Old 11-01-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mohican
Have you checked the calipers and brackets to make sure they are tight?
I'll second this, it sounds like your calipers might be loose since it only does it once after changing directions. When you switch directions they have to brake in the opposite direction so they'll slide a bit in that direction and clunk when they stop.

Just pop the wheels off and tighten the caliper bracket bolts. I don't know the exact torque value for those bolts but it shouldn't be hard to find.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

OK, thanks. I heard a clunk of the same characteristics coming from my rear wheels today, so maybe the calipers weren't tightened enough during the last brake job (previous owner told me there was a brake job done recently).
Old 11-01-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Highly doubtful that its brake related. Calipers don't clunk going forward to reverse.

I would check your torque arm mount and transmission mount. Both are prime suspects for clunking during directional changes.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Highly doubtful that its brake related. Calipers don't clunk going forward to reverse.

I would check your torque arm mount and transmission mount. Both are prime suspects for clunking during directional changes.
+1

I'm with this guy. Both trans/t.arm mounts are notorious for going out, that is the symptom of both being blown, as well as the motor mounts (except they let the car shake at idle alot more!).
Old 11-02-2010, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

What should I look for on the trans and torque arm mounts indicating that they are bad? The torque arm is that long metal bar piece going from the trans area to the back of the car right? (runs parallel with the driveshaft?)

The car does shake a little bit at idle, but the motor doesn't appear to be shaking visually, when looking at it with the hood up. Wouldn't the motor be visually rocking somewhat violently if the motor mounts were bad?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've got a clunk in the front of my car also. I've narrowed it down to the brake pads. When I changed my stock pads (its been a few years) to the Hawks everything was fine. After a few years (I don't drive the car everyday) and with the pads wearing down some they started to clunk. At one point I changed the retaining clips and that stopped the clunking but it has since come back. I also can put the stock pads back in and there's no clunk. I know the calipers are tight and the pins are lubed. I guess it's a wear issue with the pads. Calipers spreading? Whats the symptoms of spreading calipers? Those Hawks are expensive so I won't be buying new pads any time soon to compare. The car drives fine and stops safely. IMO its not the torque arm or the trans mount. I can ease on the brakes softly (at below 5 mph) without the clunk, take a quick jab at the brake pedal and hear (most of the time two clunks) up front and can sometimes get a feel through the pedal. What the fix is...I don't know. I won't put the stock pads back in because they don't have that initial bite like the Hawks do. I'm not going to keep buying retaining clips either. Hopefully we can come up with a solution to this problem. I installed Prothane motor mounts earlier this year so I know its not those making noise.

Last edited by ChrisRZ28; 11-03-2010 at 12:54 AM. Reason: motor mounts

Quick Reply: Clunk coming from front end, relating to reverse & brakes