Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Putting Konis on an SLP suspended car

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Putting Konis on an SLP suspended car

Well, my Firehawk just cracked 100k last week and I am drawing up a list of things I will be doing in the near future. One thing that may get swapped out will be the shocks. Has anyone added the Koni adjustables to their SLP supsension? Are the Konis that much better than the Bilstiens that come with the SLP set-up? I have read where people are really impressed by the Konis but wonder if I will gain much on over-all ride, body control, the subjective "handling improvement"? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

koni is the best shock you can do for the car period. I really dont think the Firehawk had a special suspension on it.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried this combo out a little while ago, and finally got around to doing a detailed write up on here. Do a search if, you like, it's still on page one afaik. Short version: SLP Eibach with Koni feels more responsive- you feel the road more, the ride is not harsh. When you push the vehicle, the body motions are much better controlled. The Bilsteins were more floaty, esp when pushing the vehicle.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pewter2002
I tried this combo out a little while ago, and finally got around to doing a detailed write up on here. Do a search if, you like, it's still on page one afaik. Short version: SLP Eibach with Koni feels more responsive- you feel the road more, the ride is not harsh. When you push the vehicle, the body motions are much better controlled. The Bilsteins were more floaty, esp when pushing the vehicle.
you are 100% wright that what i did and yes, yes.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't expect some night and day difference with the Konis though, unless your shocks are shot.

I drank the Kool Aid and installed a set of Konis on the rear (haven't gotten around to installing fronts yet), and while I'll notice at certain places on the road it handles bumps better and stays planted better, it still rides very harsh, and this is on stock springs with them set on full soft. It still pretty much crashes over bumps, except now the floating is gone, which is good, but I was hoping for a smoother ride.

I guess we just have to accept that these cars are always going to ride like skateboards, no matter what we do.

And before anyone says it, yes, if I could afford it, I WOULD buy a Caddy.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Koni's soften out quite a bit as you put some miles on. BTW, the rear @ full soft is ok, but just because it's at full soft it doesnt necessarily mean a softer ride, if you do decide to replace the fronts, you'll want to turn them up for a better ride (like, 3 sweeps or so).

I will admit that the stock shocks rode smoother for me, but after a few hundred miles on the Koni's they definitely make the car much more controlled/responsive. The ride I can definitely deal with, it feels like a sports car and the stability is well worth that price IMO.

BTW, still with stock springs.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Don't expect some night and day difference with the Konis though, unless your shocks are shot.

I drank the Kool Aid and installed a set of Konis on the rear (haven't gotten around to installing fronts yet), and while I'll notice at certain places on the road it handles bumps better and stays planted better, it still rides very harsh, and this is on stock springs with them set on full soft. It still pretty much crashes over bumps, except now the floating is gone, which is good, but I was hoping for a smoother ride.

I guess we just have to accept that these cars are always going to ride like skateboards, no matter what we do.

And before anyone says it, yes, if I could afford it, I WOULD buy a Caddy.
Couple things here.
As mentioned the shocks "break in" with some miles and soften up. And cold weather really makes a difference, the shocks become noticeably stiffer.
Are you sure they are on full soft, and did you buy them new?
What kind of tire pressure are you running?

My personal experience was they rode much better than the stockers (which mine had around 40K miles) and were less jarring, the stockers just felt "limp" in comparison.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

About how many miles for the break in on these shocks, no complaints @ mine, just wondering if I'll have to re adjust the settings after? How much "softer" / more compliant will they be in your experience?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know, after maybe 200-300 miles it did soften up. I didn't readjust them until later, and when i did i actually turned them down. I wouldn't say they loosen up and corner worse, the impacts seem much less jarring and road imperfections seem much more comfortable. I think cornering seemed about the same.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

^ Okay, thanks for the info!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Good feedback. I will be keeping the SLP springs, so putting the Konis at the softest setting seems to be the best. I am also planning to put on a Watts Link.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Part of the deal with any Koni customer of mine is help with setup/adjustment/installation (same with the Watts link as well).

I personally wouldn't run them full soft, but that's something you can certainly try (as well as other settings). I like a bit more rebound control but not so much that it's bone jarringly packed down.

And as a reminder to those maybe watching... I do have Koni's on sale--and at a pretty good discount starting @ $839.99/set with the "4/4's" for $939.99/set.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Part of the deal with any Koni customer of mine is help with setup/adjustment/installation (same with the Watts link as well).

I personally wouldn't run them full soft, but that's something you can certainly try (as well as other settings). I like a bit more rebound control but not so much that it's bone jarringly packed down.

And as a reminder to those maybe watching... I do have Koni's on sale--and at a pretty good discount starting @ $839.99/set with the "4/4's" for $939.99/set.
When I get ready to do all of this, I will definitely be giving you a call, especially on the Watts Link.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Double Aught
When I get ready to do all of this, I will definitely be giving you a call, especially on the Watts Link.
I don't plan on going anywhere. Please let me know if you have any questions.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought mine new, they're the 3rd gens if that makes any difference.

I've had them on for almost 2k miles now, so I should hope they'd have broken in by now.

Everything I read sai that they come adjusted at full soft from the factory, so I didn't mess with them, just put them in as they came.

Tire pressure is 32psi.

I actually didn't want the Koni's, I really wanted to go with Bils, but nobody had the rears at the time, and I REALLY wanted to get rid of the GR2's I was running.

The Koni's are MUCH better than the GR2's, the floating is gone, and like I said the rear feels more planted under certain situations, but I'd really like a smoother ride.

I guess I'm just driving the wrong car for that.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had them on for almost 2k miles now, so I should hope they'd have broken in by now.

Everything I read sai that they come adjusted at full soft from the factory, so I didn't mess with them, just put them in as they came.

Tire pressure is 32psi.

I actually didn't want the Koni's, I really wanted to go with Bils, but nobody had the rears at the time, and I REALLY wanted to get rid of the GR2's I was running.

The Koni's are MUCH better than the GR2's, the floating is gone, and like I said the rear feels more planted under certain situations, but I'd really like a smoother ride.

Well there are some problems right there. First you assumed the shocks were adjusted a certain way without checking. Next running full soft in the front does not make for the best ride from my experience. Just because they are setup lower on rebound doesn't mean they will ride better. Sounds like you have some adjusting and checking to do...
Old 11-17-2010, 10:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Tire pressure is 32psi.

You signature says "all stock" except for a few things. I'll assume that's the case.

First, 32 psi is too much in the rear tires. GM calls for 30, and if you are running bigger rears you need less as the load per square inch is lower. Tires have spring rate, and they are the first thing that moves when you hit a bump.

You do also need to check the settings, they generally do come full soft but always makes sense to check

In the end, it's not a luxury car, and still has a solid rear axle--like a pick-up truck. However, there are things you can do to help like the pressures. Also if the bumpstops are trashed that will hurt things. And stiffer rear springs don't do anything to help ride (I don't think you have springs, but anytime one goes to shorter and stiffer springs that's not ideal for ride compliance, I run softer rear springs than many for this reason).

Old 11-17-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Certain roads are going to be terrible no matter what suspension you have. Minor bumps here and there can go smooth with the right setup. Horrible roads like you'd find in Fall River MA... sorry but you either need a Caddillac/Crown Vic or just have to deal with it.

Newport RI has some pretty bad roads too, doesn't it?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Tire pressure is 32psi.

to "just put them in as they came" is rediculous. Without even checking the settings while you held the shocks in your hands, to me, shows such a lacksadasical attitude that I can't put any faith in any of your impressions. If just to make yourself feel better, at least check the settings. I would suggest trying some other settings as well.

just sayin