Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

'02 Camaro SLP Springs

Old 11-06-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Default '02 Camaro SLP Springs

What springs would come on a factory '02 Camaro SS w/ SLP suspension option? Would they be progressive?
Old 11-07-2010, 05:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

They come with blue Eibach springs and yellow Bilstiens that are specifically valved for those springs.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, they are progressive. The rates on the ones I had were front: 300-450# ; rear; 97-140#. The sticky for this section lists another type as well with lower rates - I don't know where you would get THOSE, or even WANT those! The good thing is, the rates are painted on the coils themselves to avoid confusion.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, thanks.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

These were on fleaBay advertised as SLP springs....
Attached Thumbnails '02 Camaro SLP Springs-slp_not_springs.jpg  
Old 11-08-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
These were on fleaBay advertised as SLP springs....
I could be wrong, but those look like stock non-SLP springs....
Old 11-08-2010, 06:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I agree.... easy way to tell though. They have tags, and my guess is they are GM springs.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Those could have come on an SS, one with stock Z suspension. But the Eibachs are blue.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I agree.... easy way to tell though. They have tags, and my guess is they are GM springs.
Ya, I saw the tags and asked the seller for the numbers, but I didn't get a reply. Seeing they were not progressive I passed.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

I thought progressives were the way to go initially as well.. Do a search for the advantages and disadvantages for them. The "softer" portion for better ride can actually do the opposite- the wheel velocity when you hit a bump can send the wheel up much faster to the "stiffer" portion of the windings but still overwhelm the dampers, bottoming out. Also, the dampers can feel either too softly valved, or too stiffly valved depending what portion the progressive spring is in play and the characteristics (valving) of the dampers. Def the progr. ride softer (lower spring rate) if that is what you want, though.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pewter - Thanks for your insight, I appreciate hearing that pov. I've done a bit of research and found - as you said - that progressives might not be the answer. I have Koni SAs and for a while I had Strano springs, but the springs were just too stiff for my taste. I running the SAs with "custom" springs right now and the ride a pretty decent but I thought if I could pick up a set of SLPs cheap that I'd give them a try.

The other thing going against me is my 18/19 wheel package I have - with Nitto Invos they're pretty heavy. I should have ponied up for Koni DAs due to the wheels but I just didn't have the coin or really the knowledge that they would help with heavier wheels & tires.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

^ Hey, no prob! Don't get me wrong, the Koni/SLP spring combo was good when I had it! The Konis really allow one to tune their ride to their specific requirements. You have an upgraded rim size that you (rightfully!) have to account for. In your case, the slightly softer spring rate will prolly benefit you, then you can adjust the shocks if required. Going from the SLP springs to Stranos did not really degrade the ride much, so I wouldn't expect THAT much difference IMHO. Maybe used, 1le (linear) springs at 360# to try?
Old 11-09-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pewter2002
^ Hey, no prob! Don't get me wrong, the Koni/SLP spring combo was good when I had it! The Konis really allow one to tune their ride to their specific requirements. You have an upgraded rim size that you (rightfully!) have to account for. In your case, the slightly softer spring rate will prolly benefit you, then you can adjust the shocks if required. Going from the SLP springs to Stranos did not really degrade the ride much, so I wouldn't expect THAT much difference IMHO. Maybe used, 1le (linear) springs at 360# to try?
Yes, 1LE is my 1st choice but I haven't been able to find any. I calculated my "custom springs at ~ 330# front and ~140# rear so I'm in the ballpark of 1LEs. I think 1LE fronts would be really good for my combination. I'll keep looking. Thanks again.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Ahhh, 1LE rears are stiffer than my rears.... don't think you want that. And fwiw, LT1 front springs are around 310--just get a set of those and save yourself a lot of hassle. 1LE's will raise the car, they are not lowering springs in any way.

Maybe, just maybe you'd be someone who would like Hotchkis springs. They are 285-525 front, 100-140 rear, and because of how they are wound, they are in reality actually progressive. The 525/140 does not show up until the end. Functionally when looking at the amount they are compressed on the car and knowing where they start and end, you'd be looking at nominal starting working rates around 400/120-ish range but not as low (usually) as LS1 Pro-kits. This is not an answer I'd give everyone, clearly most don't think my springs ride too stiffly (in fact I've had customers tell me they felt they rode better than Hotchkis on a few cars) but that might be a solution for you to look at. And fwiw, this is a big reason I still sell other brands of springs and not just my own.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

There you go, another option! Every manufacturer uses ther own material composition (good or bad) and winds their own stuff to what they think is best. Talk to Sam to find out the pitfalls of each. If Sam recommends something, I would seriously consider it, even though in this case his suggestion is a progressive spring (for a valid reason!). There is more to this stuff than the advertising and labels etc... Sam has enlightened me a few times and his hands on experience has allowed me to make a more informed decision.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Ahhh, 1LE rears are stiffer than my rears.... don't think you want that. And fwiw, LT1 front springs are around 310--just get a set of those and save yourself a lot of hassle. 1LE's will raise the car, they are not lowering springs in any way.

Maybe, just maybe you'd be someone who would like Hotchkis springs. They are 285-525 front, 100-140 rear, and because of how they are wound, they are in reality actually progressive. The 525/140 does not show up until the end. Functionally when looking at the amount they are compressed on the car and knowing where they start and end, you'd be looking at nominal starting working rates around 400/120-ish range but not as low (usually) as LS1 Pro-kits. This is not an answer I'd give everyone, clearly most don't think my springs ride too stiffly (in fact I've had customers tell me they felt they rode better than Hotchkis on a few cars) but that might be a solution for you to look at. And fwiw, this is a big reason I still sell other brands of springs and not just my own.

Thanks Sam. Ya, I was really only looking to use the 1LEs in the front only, and I would have tried them on the lower perch. For some reason the rear seems to be ok with my "custom" springs and SAs on full soft. Maybe I should have kept your rear springs so I could play with different fronts. Oh well. I'll think about the Hotchkis idea, very interesting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '02 Camaro SLP Springs