Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes are way to firm

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brakes are way to firm

*I tried to do a search maybe i'm not using the right key words but I can't find anything useful.*

Quick run down of what I did over the weekend. I changed out all the bushings on the front of my car. I had to loosen the Master cylinder from the booster to drop the strut out on the driver side. (I assume thats where my problem is) I put in a new rack and pinion and had the car aligned.

Okay I have only driven it a few times since I got it back together. I had it aligned monday, and last night I was out showing of my new wheels and was rolling up to a stop light and I could barely depress the brake pedal. I had to use quite a bit of power to stop. While stopped I pumped the breaks a few times went away, didn't have the problem again.

This morning taking a clover on-ramp onto the highway went to hit the break and again firm, thought i was goin to hit the guard rail. Once i merged on i tapped the brake a bit and it was fine.

I have no idea what to check... Brake booster? should I bleed the brakes? I'm not sure how i could have gotten air in the lines...
Old 11-10-2010, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

chk for vac leak on back of MC and the opposite end of vac hose also
Johnny
Old 11-10-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you lost vacuum assist. Check what ^ said -kinked vacuum line from booster? Debris in vac brake booster line?
Old 11-11-2010, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

The vaccume lines seems tight with no leaks. I haven't had the problem since yesturday morning. I need to put a few more miles on the car to know for sure if its gone.

Thanks for the hlep guys!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you inspected the calipers at all? Maybe the sliders need lube with the appropriate grease? Perhaps turning the wheel while driving is pushing the brake pads in the calipers (as normal) but the sliders are binding? It sounds scary- you need to sort this out.