Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowered my Z28...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lowered my Z28...

Yes it's FINALLY lowered, and I couldn't be happier. Strano/AGX, it looks and rides 100% better on the new setup. I haven't had a chance to take some decent pics yet, but you get the idea...

Compared to ugly stock 4x4 height......

I'll get better pics soon when the lighting is better and the car is cleaner. Let me know what you think!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Launching!

I like it! I want to lower mine pretty bad, but I can't because of my Texas Speed true duals that dump right before the rear axle. They scrape already, so if I lowered it i would have to run my exhaust all the way back through a y pipe.

Your car looks great though!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks damn good! Glad to hear you like the new setup!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WheelsCamaro
I like it! I want to lower mine pretty bad, but I can't because of my Texas Speed true duals that dump right before the rear axle. They scrape already, so if I lowered it i would have to run my exhaust all the way back through a y pipe.

Your car looks great though!
Thanks man! Yeah, true duals are sweet but they can cause a problem if you want to lower the car, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Looks damn good! Glad to hear you like the new setup!
Thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Wow, thanks for the pics. Looks great. Mine is up on stands now as I put my Stranos on (02 Z28). Couldn't believe how easy the fronts were to replace ie not needing the spring compressor to put them on like you do with the tall stock springs.

Did you paint your calipers while you had all the wheels off?

I'll post my pics next week. I'm also sound dampening with secondskin while I'm at it.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Paul, thanks for the response! I had a buddy do the install for me, and I was surprised to hear how smooth and easy it went.

I painted the calipers a couple years ago actually. Definitely post some pics after you get yours on!
Old 03-31-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good looking car.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:25 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Paul 1953
Wow, thanks for the pics. Looks great. Mine is up on stands now as I put my Stranos on (02 Z28). Couldn't believe how easy the fronts were to replace ie not needing the spring compressor to put them on like you do with the tall stock springs.

Did you paint your calipers while you had all the wheels off?

I'll post my pics next week. I'm also sound dampening with secondskin while I'm at it.

most people who don't use the spring compressor to install the new springs later find out they have a clunking noise from the front. thats because they didn't get the front mount all the way down on the shock shaft. the center nut is not enough to pull it all the way down where it needs to be.

good luck - I hope thats not the case for you. if you do have a clunking noise from the front at least you will know why. just sucks to have to take it all apart to fix it.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good man. I just ordered a set of strano springs today...can't wait to install them.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pjb
most people who don't use the spring compressor to install the new springs later find out they have a clunking noise from the front. thats because they didn't get the front mount all the way down on the shock shaft. the center nut is not enough to pull it all the way down where it needs to be.

good luck - I hope thats not the case for you. if you do have a clunking noise from the front at least you will know why. just sucks to have to take it all apart to fix it.
Man you scared me!
I was 20 minutes from returning the coil tool. I haven't put front struts back on the car yet, so I quickly went out, compressed one to see if I could tighten the nut any. No way. It's pretty clear to me...it's not like it gets tighter until you stop. No it stops suddenly as it reaches the end of the threads.

The Strano spring uncompressed is the same size as the mounted & compressed stock spring. Uncompressed stock is 3" longer.

Anyway, SKZ28, it's going to be a bit longer for me. I decided to take the calipers off the car to paint them properly. And my time to work on the car is limited at the moment.

pjb, I to be safe I'll start a thread on the issue you raised.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:33 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

as long as your sure that the top mount is ALL the way down on the shaft, you are good. most people find they cannot get the mount all the way down against the shoulder in the shaft without compressing the spring slightly. maybe the shaft on the AGX's are long enough to do it without compressing the spring, I've never seen an AGX. I just know that a lot of people who say they didn't use the spring compressor to assemble the shocks usually come back and say "I have a clunking noise from the front".
Old 04-01-2011, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Well... they're on now, so we'll see.
On the bright side, the assemblies sure went back on the car a heck of a lot easier than they did a few years ago when I put on the Bilsteins. Maybe I'm just getting better :-)
Old 04-01-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like a sweet ride....which rims are in the last pic...I like thos. Do u have a brand and model? they loooook like SS or possible Vette ones but slightly different.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Those wheels were 18x9.5" C5Z06 Motorsports in argent (gunmetal)
Old 04-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Looks good! I want to do the same thing to my Z, and was wondering exactly what springs you used. I already have Bilsteins on, so I will stick with them for now. Also, did you need to change anything else (i.e panhard rod?) due to the lowering? How is the ride compared to stock? How much of a drop did the springs give you? Thanks for the info.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SRFCTY
Looks good! I want to do the same thing to my Z, and was wondering exactly what springs you used. I already have Bilsteins on, so I will stick with them for now. Also, did you need to change anything else (i.e panhard rod?) due to the lowering? How is the ride compared to stock? How much of a drop did the springs give you? Thanks for the info.
Those would be Strano springs (he's a sponsor on here, check out http://www.stranoparts.com). They're probably one of the (if not THE) best lowering springs you can get for your car, and Sam's a great guy to deal with.

An adjustable panhard rod is definitely recommended, but depending on the car it might not be needed (still, not a bad and inexpensive upgrade).

Also, they provide about 1.2" of drop. As far as the ride, if you try a search on them there's a ton of people's feedback.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

looks great!

any pics of ground clearance?

...heading to columbus sunday for a bluejackets game.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

The ride is great! It drives smoother and handles much better. Ground clearance hasn't been an issue at all yet, but I'm sure the longtubes won't like the huge speed bumps at my work. Yes I'm using an adjustable panhard bar.

Originally Posted by Tobias05
looks great!

any pics of ground clearance?

...heading to columbus sunday for a bluejackets game.
Thanks! Here's a pretty good pic...

Jackets games are a lot of fun, it's just a shame they are out of the playoff hunt
Old 04-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Teching In

If I order these springs. Do i need new shocks and struts also?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Shocks aren't necessary but they are highly recommended with any lowering spring

Quick Reply: Lowered my Z28...