Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Manual master cylinder bore size???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Manual master cylinder bore size???

What's the real world (you guys) think about master cylinder (MC) bore size for a street/ strip car?

I'm switching to a manual brake set up (cam doesn't produce enough vacuum to operate booster- and don't want a vacuum pump) I bought a set of 4-piston Aerospace heavy duty front brakes (hat-style). The rears are stock at the moment (single piston, I believe), but will be upgraded when I do the rear axle.

I've heard 1.25" MC bore size is optimum for 4 piston fronts/ rears or 4 piston fronts/ 2 piston rears and 1.032" bore size is optimum for for 2 piston fronts/ 2 piston rears or 1 piston front and 2 piston rears.

Since i'm going to drive this on the street, I need reliable stopping power in light traffic. I also know that most MFGs of MC- like Strange/ BMR/ etc make tandem master cylinders and the rear port makes more line pressure.

Question: 1.032" bore size MC with front 4-piston Aerospace brakes connected to rear MC port or 1.25" bore size MC with back brakes connected to rear MC port? I realize this is also a subjective set up/ preference question.

I'll shut up now- ok, your turn. Thoughts?
Old 04-17-2011, 11:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link to a good read about brakes and mastercylinders. It is written by Strange Eng.

http://centralracingparts.com/index....formation_id=6

Hope this helps.
Carl

Quick Reply: Manual master cylinder bore size???