Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suggestions - Front Sway bar, Shocks - Calm Driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions - Front Sway bar, Shocks - Calm Driving

My 1999 is in need of a front sway bar and, in the near future, shocks. The vehicle is a daily driver and will never see a track or racing scenario. I have been browsing the forums, but most recommendations do not seem to fit my needs due to the minimalistic requirements. The overall goal is to make the car comfortable to drive while maintaining a budget. My automotive knowledge is not great so please bare with me on any questions or suggestions. Does anyone have any suggestions for the "standard" driver?

Several threads note concerns about oddities in steering with only replacing one sway bar. With relatively relaxed driving will this still be a problem?

With all the sizes available, should I stick with stock on the notion that I do not plan to upgrade the rear sway bar?

Sway bar budget: $150 - $200 shipped
Shocks: <$400 shipped. Preferably closer to $300
Old 04-25-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you say you need a new sway bar?

As far as shocks, it sounds like SLP Bilsteins will fit the bill....good comfort, low price (right about in line with your $400 budget, talk to Sam), while still improving handling/stability.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

The local oil change shop and a friend of mine have both indicated that the front sway bar is broken. Also, the car is not handling stability well in sharp or harder than normal turns.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your front sway bar is broken?? Are you sure it's not just the end links or the bushings, both of which are prone to breaking (at least much more so than the actual bar)? I've never seen a sway bar completely fail....not saying it's not possible, just unlikely (sway bars act as torsional springs basically, they're made to flex without breaking). If you're planning on keeping the rear bar stock and it's true that your front bar is broken, I'd pick up a used WS6/SS bar (32mm) off of the classified ads or something, should be well within your budget.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

I will have my friend double check, but he has been adamant that the sway bar is broken. The links on the front were replaced within the last year or so though.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The front sway bar on my brother's Camaro broke off at both ends, so it's possible. Like someone else mentioned, a used SS/WS6 bar would be perfect for your needs, and should run you less than $50. SLP Bilstein shocks also fit the bill for your needs. Those would be my recommendations.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Check the endlinks for old/damaged bushings and insure they are just tight enough to begin compressing the bushings. Check the frame bushings to confirm they are lubed and the frame brackets are not broken. I had a frame bracket bust and caused an oversteer condition. I replaced them with stronger aftermarket brackets. Maybe you can get the car on a lift and take/post a photo of the 'broken' area.

I'd stick with the current bar unless it is damaged. If the bar itself is damaged, search the classifieds for the same or consider getting the stock 32mm front bar instead.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i suggest some V6 sways and monroe shocks........J/K..........broke sway?? WTF?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just lose the sway bar altogether. My car hasn't had one in years and I don't notice it at all. Until recently it was my daily driver and I also took it to the track. Completely unneccesary in my experience.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unless you're just taking your car to the drag strip I'd recommend keeping it on. Having an end-link break (effectively no sway bar) makes the entire car feel sloppy to me....I see others have different opinions.

Basically, if you're saying your car doesn't have the stable handling you want then it doesn't make any sense to take the bar off.

If you could get a picture from under your car to show us, I'd appreciate it. I want to see what happened.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 PM
wrencher

GM hollow bars are known to break, not so common on the F-car though.
Many, many, more W bodies had this problem.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

I will try to get some pictures of the broken area when my caliper gets installed this week. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Suggestions - Front Sway bar, Shocks - Calm Driving