Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front wheel tick noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default front wheel tick noise

I was working on changing the brakes today on my 02 camaro and while in the process of taking off the driver side front I noticed a sound when you spin the hub assembly. It makes a ticking/click noise as it spins, it is fairly noticeable, when everything is quiet. Never had any issues with it prior to noticing this wondering what you guys think.

I am sure it has been there before and I just didnt notice. The passenger side is quiet no noises. The hub spins freely just like the other side, and you dont feel any grinding or anything unusual. Did not seem to have any slop when you pull wheel side to side. Anything common (wheel bearing noise, wheel speed sensor etc)

thanks guys
Old 05-25-2011, 01:48 AM
TECH Resident

Probably the the slides rubbing on the rotor or the squealers rubbing on the rotor. Did your ne pads come with new slides?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yep, seen this before. Its time for a new hub assembly. My originals only lasted me 75K miles before starting to tick and grind.

My hubs were also making a sound similar to a brake squeak. I replaced my pads but the squeak was still there. That got me to inspect the hubs where I got the ticking. Turning them slowly by hand also felt like a meat grinder - not good...
Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My center caps move around a little and make noise
when free spun slowly.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not brake related it doesn't have wheel rotor or caliper on it just the hub and its making a tick type noise. The car has under 45000 miles, is this something I should change immediately ?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by welldonecj7
It's not brake related it doesn't have wheel rotor or caliper on it just the hub and its making a tick type noise. The car has under 45000 miles, is this something I should change immediately ?
Age also plays a factor. If there are rubber seals on the bearings, they can be going bad on a 10 year old car easily even though the metal parts should last longer.

If its not brake related, it must be the hub.

Should it be replaced immediately? If you race the car or abuse it - definitely yes. Put the wheel on and pull back and forth at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. If the wheel wobbles, it should be replaced immediately. If not, then you can probably go a while while you save up for new hubs.

BTW - Like brakes, the best practice is to replace both sides at the same time.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will check it out but did not notice any play in it when wheel was on

Quick Reply: front wheel tick noise