Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Going with powerslot rotors and hawk pads this weekend. any tips or suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going with powerslot rotors and hawk pads this weekend. any tips or suggestions?

Im finally ready to purchase the power slot rotors and hawk hps pads.

I REALLY hope they wont make any squeaking noise. I did a search and noticed a couple that have this exact setup complained a lot about the squeaking noise when slowing down at 20mph speeds. Some mentioned their's squeaked like a bus and they were reconsidering putting the stock rotors and pads on there (i guess it was THAT bad).

Others on board with the same setup had no issues whatsoever. I wanted to go with a Z06 conversion but the pricing was just very unreasonable. I sure hope I get lucky with my brake kit because I cant stand squeaking noises at all.

I also heard that those power slot rotors recommend using ceramic brake pads. I noticed that for those that have used the stock pads on those rotors had a warping problem.

so...
any last opinions? suggestions? advice?
Old 02-26-2004, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

nothing?
Old 02-26-2004, 08:07 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, in each box of Power Slots, they have a paper that recommends the use of Hawk pads. I have used both EBC and Hawk, and Hawk is hands down the better of the two.

It really takes no time at all. I had all four discs done in less than an hour.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow that sounds awesome... thank god, I finally found some good news about this setup

But then ofcourse people were only complaining about the squeaking noise. I sure hope that PowerSlot knew no squeaking noises are going to be existant at the time they made that statement.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:20 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Just make sure you clean the rotors on each side with some Brakleen before putting them on. That should help with the squeeking. Also be sure to break them in by taking the car up to 20, and then braking hard. Up to 40, braking hard. Up to 60 and braking hard. Do those a couple times and you should be set.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm taking my hawks off this weekend and putting on new OEM's the performance gain which in my opinion was none is not worth the noise and extra brake dust I was getting with the hawks.Just my own personal experience.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:47 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by mcflyz28
I'm taking my hawks off this weekend and putting on new OEM's the performance gain which in my opinion was none is not worth the noise and extra brake dust I was getting with the hawks.Just my own personal experience.
The only time my hawks dusted was within the first few hundered miles with them. They dust so much less than the stock pads now. You need to break them in correctly or else they will cause you problems.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mcflyz28
Which Hawks were you using mcflyz28?
Old 02-28-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

HPS, Hawk performance, about 4000 miles on them
Old 03-06-2004, 03:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i finally bought the set and had it installed..

so far so good. I asked my mechanic about proper break in procedure and he said nothing was needed? He said these new kind of brakes dont require any brake in procedure as DMNSPD mentioned (he said thats an old school break in method that is not what I should do).

Just noticed today a tiny squeaking noise when slowing down at 20 mph speeds or something. Noise was not annoying at all, it was barely existant (i was really picky).

I just hope the squeaking noise doesnt get any louder in the future.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions about the break in procedure? IF the squeaking sound increases should I take the pads off and use brakeleen on the rotors to make sure there clean?

any info would be appreciated
Old 09-10-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Powerslot Rotors front and rear, and Hawk HP+ pads. They dust a lot and after only about 5-6000 miles the rotors in front are showing signs of heat cracking. I am definately not happy with them. I love the pads, they have great bite, but the rotors should have held up better in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Going with powerslot rotors and hawk pads this weekend. any tips or suggestions?