Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunking from rear when going over dips not bumps

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clunking from rear when going over dips not bumps

Can't seem to figure this out. I think my springs are about shot and am working on getting some new ones but I don't think that is the clunking. Car has 108,000 miles on original springs and suspension except for Koni's and sway bar links which have about 50k on them.

It's a definite clunking sound though. Not a squeak or rattle. It makes the noise right after the suspension rebounds after going over dips at slow speeds. Not as it's rebounding but right after.

Many times I also hear a different type of noise coming from the rear suspension on the drivers side right when I get out of the car. It's like something is binding and then when my weight comes off the suspension it like pops free. It goes "dong!!!". Like the spring was compressed and then suddenenly pops free.

I also noticed that there's some light scrape marks on the inside of the shock housing on that side like it's rubbing on something but I can't see what it would be hitting. Both noises started at about the same time leading me to think they are related.

I have the heater hose mod and a magnaflow catback too. The car hadn't had any suspension or exhaust work done for awhile and then the clunk just appeared.

edit added:

Well I was under there and even when I'm jacking it up and down I hear that dong noise some if I support the frame and just move the suspension up and down. Sounds like it's the spring on that side but it still does it on the same side even when I switch the springs to the other sides. I think the scrape on the shocks is just from the shock housing itself moving up and down within itself.

Last edited by Spink; 06-18-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: added paragraph
Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

Well, I went out and tried spraying the LCA and panhard bushings with silcone spray and that just made the problem worse. Now I pretty much get the noise when ever the body weight on the car shifts, much worse when shifting from side to side but sometimes even just front to back and now it does it over regular bumps along with the dips.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be bushings in the lca's or panhard? i noticed my rear making noise and it is that the bolt that connects the panhard to the pass. side of the car is loose. id start shakin stuff and see what rattles...
Old 07-18-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

A little late but thought I'd update this thread with the fix for the noise I was hearing. Put a shitload of grease on the top and bottom of the springs and the contact points and the noise is completely gone now.

As a side effect it also greatly reduced a vibration I was getting at 80-85mph. Still there a lil bit but 90% gone now.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Spink
A little late but thought I'd update this thread with the fix for the noise I was hearing. Put a shitload of grease on the top and bottom of the springs and the contact points and the noise is completely gone now.

As a side effect it also greatly reduced a vibration I was getting at 80-85mph. Still there a lil bit but 90% gone now.
That may have temporarily fixed the problem but it's not a good idea and could cause you to end up being stranded. Grease attracts dirt and dirt will eventually cause severe corrosion. The springs, especially if they are the originals, have areas where the paint has flaked off as well as spots that have no paint. Those are the areas that will corrode and, over time, can cause the coil to break in half. I'd strongly suggest you take solvent and clean the springs of all the grease,along with any dirt which has collected,and then carefully inspect the coils for pitting. if they are, or if you can scrape areas of the coil away then they will need to be replaced. Otherwise one day, you'll be going down the road happy that you can't hear any clunking, when suddenly you'll hear a slam as the spring breaks! Take your car a good shop that has seasoned ASE techs to have the problem properly diagnosed and repaired.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

@Spink I have the same exact problem with my 98 A4... I blew the bearings and gears on my stock 10 bolt and I replaced it with rearend from a Trans am. Ever since I have done the swap I've had this clunking noise when going slowly down a street with the cracks all the way across the road that are about 2" wide. I've been told by other members and a few mechanics that it could be a number of things. They all stated it was probably LCA and PHB bushings were shot, Shocks are shot, and even a cracked u-joint. I also have the vibration at 80-85mph... I plan on replacing all the bushings, new shocks and springs, and new u joint and see if that resolves the problem.

Quick Reply: Clunking from rear when going over dips not bumps