Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What happened to the CTS-V & 17" wheels thread?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What happened to the CTS-V & 17" wheels thread?

I believe there was a thread titled 'I did it - CTS-V brakes under 17" wheels' or something very similiar, but I can't find it now, even after several searches.

Anyone know what happened to it?

I'm about to pull the trigger on new calipers (CTS-V or C6) and wanted to thumb through that thread one more time.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck trying to fit those brakes under a 17'' wheel.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The guy had to machine custom brackets out of a chunk of aluminum. Not a practical DIY. He has plans for selling a kit within the year after more track testing is done on them. That's only one of the reasons the thread is gone. The other reason is that he isn't currently using the same design as posted.

And to the guy that said good luck... Well they DO fit. It has been done.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah they fit under 17s but not 17s like TT2s you need something with a bit more side room
Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZexGX
The guy had to machine custom brackets out of a chunk of aluminum. Not a practical DIY. He has plans for selling a kit within the year after more track testing is done on them. That's only one of the reasons the thread is gone. The other reason is that he isn't currently using the same design as posted.

And to the guy that said good luck... Well they DO fit. It has been done.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you recall if he was using a wheel spacer as well? A thick spacer is a concern of mine for track days.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
Thanks for the feedback. Do you recall if he was using a wheel spacer as well? A thick spacer is a concern of mine for track days.
I do not recall. He indicated to me that he had changed the design at least once since he posted the info in the thread, so anything in the thread could be inaccurate or a just bad idea for actual use. I'm waiting on more info for a set of those brackets myself, or at least some fitment info. It'd be nice to run these brakes on my Firehawk wheels.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I do not recall. He indicated to me that he had changed the design at least once since he posted the info in the thread, so anything in the thread could be inaccurate or a just bad idea for actual use. I'm waiting on more info for a set of those brackets myself, or at least some fitment info. It'd be nice to run these brakes on my Firehawk wheels.
I could jump on the C6 calipers right now, if they were in stock. They are on national back order, so I'm considering the CTS-V's again - however I don't want to run a spacer. I could consider making my own caliper bracket (I do CNC work), but really don't have the time. I rather buy off the shelf stuff so I can just bolt everything on one afternoon.

I guess I'll keep looking for C6 calipers.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I didnt realize the OP of that thread was still doing work on em. Interesting.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
I could jump on the C6 calipers right now, if they were in stock. They are on national back order, so I'm considering the CTS-V's again - however I don't want to run a spacer. I could consider making my own caliper bracket (I do CNC work), but really don't have the time. I rather buy off the shelf stuff so I can just bolt everything on one afternoon.

I guess I'll keep looking for C6 calipers.
The 6-pad C6 calipers? Let me know how much the going rate is. I have been considering that too.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

6 piston Z06 calipers? Find it hard to believe their on national backorder if thats what hes referring to. I dont think Ive ever seen them under $700 for a pair.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

He probably means standard C6 calipers. I got mine a couple months ago, but the guy at Kore3 said they were just about the last set he had and the ones I bought were a mismatched anodize color. He said that PBR had seriously ramped down when car sales fell so far and now they were behind the 8 ball trying to keep up with production. He also said they were moving part of their line back into the USA
Old 07-08-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

^How is that setup working for you? How big are the standard C6 rotors? I dont know much about anything but the V1 setup and 5th Gen Camaro brakes.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

I like it. The C6 and C5 rotors are the same size at 12.8", but the C6 calipers are superior to the C5 units. My pedal is very direct and solid now vs. the stock setup with upgraded pads, lines, and fluid. It was good before when fully bled out, but I call feel the more rigid caliper in the brake pedal now and stopping power is right on tap.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do the c6 calipers fit on our cars? Does it just need the c5 conversion but just change the caliper?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by babbage1109
How do the c6 calipers fit on our cars? Does it just need the c5 conversion but just change the caliper?
I think so. Here's a comparison pic supposedly between our calipers (aka C5) and C6 calipers. C5 and 98-02 F-body front calipers are essentially the same.
<snip>

Last edited by ZexGX; 07-08-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So do the C6's bolt on to our spindles if you wanted to keep the stock rotor size, like you could do with the C5's?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
So do the C6's bolt on to our spindles if you wanted to keep the stock rotor size, like you could do with the C5's?
You absolutely must use C5 brake conversion brackets and C5 rotors (stock LS1 rotors are not acceptable). There is more info in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...installed.html

C6 Calipers (non Z06)
C6 base brackets (non Z51)
Napa Standard C5 directional rotors
Steel Braided Lines
Trackbrackets
Hawk HPS Pads
Raybestos Spring Clips H5644A
Dot 4 flush

Last edited by ZexGX; 07-08-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

^ What he said.

C5, C5 Z06 (Same as c5, just red), C6 (upgraded C5), C6 Z51 (standard C6 caliper, different abutment bracket), and C6 Z06 (6 piston monoblock) can all go on an F-body using a "c5 adpater bracket". These backets are made by several vendors - UMI, 6LE, Kore3, Trackbracket a.k.a. "Bishop Bracket", etc. These all (I believe) require cutting the stock LS1 or LT1 spindle to get them on. LG makes (or used to make) a bracket that didn't require cutting, but it had to use the stock F-body calipers.

It seems only the CTS-V Brembo calipers are a direct bolt on to the F-body spindles. I'm not sure about the Gen5 camaro brembos.

All C5/C6 calipers will go under 17" wheels - except for a few wheel choices. If you move to 18" you can fit the Z51 setup with goes from 12.8" rotors to 13.4" rotors - the only difference is the PAB. C6 Z06 and CTS-Vs require 18" and some sort of wheel spacing or large hub to spoke clearance to fit.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairJP
^ What he said.

C5, C5 Z06 (Same as c5, just red), C6 (upgraded C5), C6 Z51 (standard C6 caliper, different abutment bracket), and C6 Z06 (6 piston monoblock) can all go on an F-body using a "c5 adpater bracket". These backets are made by several vendors - UMI, 6LE, Kore3, Trackbracket a.k.a. "Bishop Bracket", etc. These all (I believe) require cutting the stock LS1 or LT1 spindle to get them on. LG makes (or used to make) a bracket that didn't require cutting, but it had to use the stock F-body calipers.

It seems only the CTS-V Brembo calipers are a direct bolt on to the F-body spindles. I'm not sure about the Gen5 camaro brembos.

All C5/C6 calipers will go under 17" wheels - except for a few wheel choices. If you move to 18" you can fit the Z51 setup with goes from 12.8" rotors to 13.4" rotors - the only difference is the PAB. C6 Z06 and CTS-Vs require 18" and some sort of wheel spacing or large hub to spoke clearance to fit.
Great post. The only thing I can add to this is that the 6LE brackets do not require cutting of the spindle, but some people (who have not purchased them) have questioned their strength. I have not seen anything negative from people who have installed the 6LE brackets.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, you do not need a conversion bracket to run C5 calipers with the stock spindle and stock rotor size. Conversion brackets came about to allow you to run the C5 rotor size and in fact you can run either C5 or Fbody calipers with them because they are practically the same dimensionally (construction and piston size not-withstanding). There are people that track / race these cars with C5 calipers on stock Fbody rotors:

From a different thread:
Originally Posted by mitchntx
CMC limits rotor size to 12" or the stock diameter of the LSx based F-Car.

The stock LSx based F-Car's calipers were cast smooth across the top (between the pad contact surfaces) and made of cast aluminum.

Many, including me, would spread the caliper after repeated "abuse" on road courses.

The C5 caliper (black) and Z06 caliper (red) are a direct bolt on using the stock LSx based F-Car rotor, abutment bracket and pad.

The back or bridge of the caliper is thicker and has ribs that run across the back for added rigidity.

And you can't use the C5 pad because the arc of the rotor hub and the inner arc of the pad backing plate will rub causing other problems.

The only cause for concern (for me at least) is that the C5 caliper is a 1/4" wider between the pad contact surfaces. This is to accommodate a 1/4" thicker C5 rotor.

So, when pads get toward the end of their life while using the smaller F-Car rotor, the pistons in the caliper extend out 1/8" further than they would if there was a C5 rotor in place.

I've never popped a piston or blew a seal in the 3 years I've raced on them. I'm just sayin' ...

So yes ... the C5 caliper is much stronger and less prone to spread, is a direct bolt-on replacing the LSx based F-Car caliper and uses all the same hardware as an LSx based F-Car.
If the C6's bolt to the same spots on a bracket as a C5 rotor there is the potential to use them on a stock spindle with stock Fbody rotors and PABs, but since the dimensions are different I am asking about clearances and if anyone had ever actually tried this.

I did not really find an answer in that C6 thread you linked. The guy had this comment:
Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
The C6 calipers will only bolt up as a direct swap if you continue to use the original F body PABs, but you can alos forget about the larger rotor. You would be stuck using the original f body rotor size.

This is why you need the conversion brackets....hello. Did you think this was a direct swap bolt on for the stock calipers?
which may or may not mean that someone has actually bolted them up to the spindle with fbody PABs.

Quick Reply: What happened to the CTS-V & 17" wheels thread?