Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Deciding to go Rear Coilovers ... Spohn or Autofab or others?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding to go Rear Coilovers ... Spohn or Autofab or others?

As some already know, I am prepping my SS mainly for track duty and have gotten a lot of useful knowledge from this site and value many of the opinions here. To finish my rear suspension, I think I have decided to go with a true coilover setup. It is currently an S60 with Spohn rod-ended Drag Sway, PHBR, LCA's and chassis-mount T/A. I like the ability to adjust the ride height with a coilover setup. Since I will not install a roll cage this year, I will probably only be running the 1/8-mile with 26’s and next year will run more 1/4-miles with 28's when I have a cage and am “legal”.

Does anyone have experience with the Spohn or Autofab coilover kits? They appear to be identical except the Spohn has the reinforcement plate.

Will the stock tower support a coilover setup like the Autofab without reinforcement like the Spohn has?

It is important to me to be able to de-mod this car in the future if need be. Has anyone been able to go back to a coil spring after mounting the reinforcement plate? It appears that it is possible.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

TTT for the evening posters.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Brian I've got the spohn rear kit and have no complaints, if money is not an issue I would call Carl at CRP and get some afco's I'm planning on switching to them over the winter. Spohn will sell you the reinforcemnt plates seperate I would highly recommend them I think they charged me like $30 for new plates when I swapped cars
Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 95killerz
Brian I've got the spohn rear kit and have no complaints, if money is not an issue I would call Carl at CRP and get some afco's I'm planning on switching to them over the winter. Spohn will sell you the reinforcemnt plates seperate I would highly recommend them I think they charged me like $30 for new plates when I swapped cars
I remember your S60 install and noticed then that you had rear coilovers, but hadn't had a moment to pm you. I am a little weary of the Autofab setup mainly because of the lack of the top plates. Since you swapped cars, did you remove the coilovers and install the stock springs over the Spohn plates-this is important to me? I WISH money was no object, so I think AFCO's are out and I have read way too many issues with QA1's, so I am really leaning toward Strange's. I think Carl also them as well.

If I remember correctly, your coilovers are SA QA1's. Are you sorry you went with SA's over DA's? That is my next decision. Again, money IS an issue. This is a budget build. I don't want to go SA's and kick myself for not going DA's. If I go SA's, though, I think I can squeeze some front SA coilovers out of the budget down the road. With DA's, I don't think I will be able do do anything in the front worth while. It is easier for me to piece meal mods ... a shock here and a spring there until I have everything for the install.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:41 PM
12 Second Club

I haven't had any problems with the qa1's the same ones have gone into two different cars and still haven't had any leaks. As far as SA or DA mine are SA I think in the front you would want the DA but the rear seams fine without them. I didn't reinstall the stock springs the guy that ended up with the car put another set of coilovers in it. I think the strange shocks are pretty decent also give Carl a call and see what he recommends for your budget just remember someone out there has had a bad expeience with every brand

Quick Reply: Deciding to go Rear Coilovers ... Spohn or Autofab or others?