Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

just ordered strano swaybars. What is the instalation procwdure

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default just ordered strano swaybars. What is the instalation procwdure

I ordered the non adjustible hollow swaybars. How difficult are the to install. I would like to install the rear swaybar myself. The front is going to ba installed by ashop along with front blisteins

thanks
Old 07-26-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unbolt 6 nuts, toss old bar to the side, reassemble new endlinks on new bar, put in place and tighten the 6 nuts. Can be done in an hour or so on jack stands while consuming beer and telling the wife it'll be just 10 more minutes.

The front is pretty much the same. Except on the other end of the car.

As far as mods go, these are about as painless as it gets.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

Front
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ar_install.htm

Rear
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ar_install.htm
Old 07-26-2011, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Do the job yourself. Its just nuts and bolts.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Do the job yourself. Its just nuts and bolts.
For the rears yes.. I'd probably let a shop handle the fronts if they have to have everything apart for the shock install. It won't add much more than an extra hour of time to their work. Granted shocks aren't too hard to do either, but then you start needing special tools and have to get the springs off.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

One thing to note, sometimes the end link nuts and spacer bits rust-freeze up and need to be cut out. I wound up snapping both shafts when I pulled my front sway bar off, and had to whack what was left over with a grinder in order to get all the old bits out.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

front sway bar = 5 mins

rear = 6 minutes (due to drinking in between f & r)

but if you dont mind paying extra for it then it is what it is
Old 07-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Launching!

If you're having a shop install the springs, then I personally would wait for the car to come back with the new springs before you install the front sway bar. It's a pretty straightforward procedure, and as 99SSJarhead said it might be only an extra hour of labor, but if I could curb $80 off a bill I would.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After sways do you need an alignment?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
After sways do you need an alignment?
You shouldn't, unless it changes your ride height (shouldn't unless the previous one was installed really bass ackwards'ly).
Old 07-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Launching!

So after front springs I don't need alignment? I thought I did and that's why I waited the shop to do front shocks swaybars and alignment
Old 07-26-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Element
One thing to note, sometimes the end link nuts and spacer bits rust-freeze up and need to be cut out. I wound up snapping both shafts when I pulled my front sway bar off, and had to whack what was left over with a grinder in order to get all the old bits out.
Yeah, I tried installing my UMI sways a few weeks ago, I was running into that. Also, I couldn't easily loosen the bolts holding the sway in.

I only had about an hour to work with, so I didn't go any further. I can already tell this is one of those "quick jobs" that will turn into an all day affair.

I DEF know I'll be breaking or cutting the links, and I'm really hoping I don't snap the other bolts off in the frame holes.

Hopefully Ican get them on this weekend, I have to pull the front wheels anywya to do brakes, so it'll be a perfect time to cut the links out.

Working on cars older than 5 years in New England SUCKS!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be sure to spray the bolts and nuts to be removed with PB Blast or similar at least the night before -- thank me later...
Old 07-27-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rxrom
So after front springs I don't need alignment? I thought I did and that's why I waited the shop to do front shocks swaybars and alignment
If you're going with lowering springs, you'll need an alignment. Really, if you're switching springs at all (even old stockers for new OEMs) you should get an alignment, just in case.

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Yeah, I tried installing my UMI sways a few weeks ago, I was running into that. Also, I couldn't easily loosen the bolts holding the sway in.

I only had about an hour to work with, so I didn't go any further. I can already tell this is one of those "quick jobs" that will turn into an all day affair.

I DEF know I'll be breaking or cutting the links, and I'm really hoping I don't snap the other bolts off in the frame holes.

Hopefully Ican get them on this weekend, I have to pull the front wheels anywya to do brakes, so it'll be a perfect time to cut the links out.

Working on cars older than 5 years in New England SUCKS!!!
Yep, worst place on the car (aside from the shock nut pockets - thanks GM!) for nuts and bolts. I soaked all mine for three days with penetrating oil and still had to break out the 1/2" breaker for the sway bracket bolts. Even my three-year-old replacement end links were frozen solid. Grinder, hammer, and punch for suspension parts on a '99. Ugh.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rxrom
Where'd you get that from what I said? Sway bars shouldn't make any difference on ride height, unless they a ton of preload in which they could make one side sit higher than the other....but that's uncommon (unless you try to do it). Springs, on the other hand, is basically what dictates ride height, along with spring perch positions (only an issue on certain suspension types).

If you're putting your old springs back on your car (what might be what you meant), then an alignment shouldn't be necessary, but isn't really a bad idea if position could be changed (worn spring perches, improper installation, etc.).

Last edited by 99FormulaM6r; 07-27-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Do you have to have the weight of the car when installing this or can the jack stands be on the frame?
Old 07-31-2011, 03:51 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
Can be done in an hour or so on jack stands while consuming beer and telling the wife it'll be just 10 more minutes.
This.... this is the greatest quote of all time.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lil-bit
Do you have to have the weight of the car when installing this or can the jack stands be on the frame?
I did mine on stands. Really can't reach the bolts if the car is on the ground.

On the alignment, it is not required if you're keeping your stock springs; but I'd recommend going ahead and getting the frontend aligned anyway. Maybe go with a more performance oriented setup like that's listed in the stickies posted above this forum.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Cool sounds good.

Quick Reply: just ordered strano swaybars. What is the instalation procwdure