Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake booster and ABS removal on my street car

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake booster and ABS removal on my street car

I was thinking of removing my ABS and Brake booster for a cleaner look under the hood and to save on some weight. I hardly ever see these components on drag cars and was wonder what kind of problems i would face on the road. I basically want to know if Im going to ruin my street car or possibly hurt myself or someone else.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:28 AM
12 Second Club

I have recently removed my booster and abs. It is not my daily driver but does see a lot of street use, I haven't had any issues. I run "skinnies and slicks" I don't know how it would be with the stock wheels but I can't imagine it would be to bad
Old 10-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Have you had to stop quickly sense? And how different does it feel?
Old 10-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Anyone else done this? Tell me what you guys think.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Launching!

If you're changing to a manual master cylinder kit, changing to drag brakes matched with the manual master cylinder, its a good drag configuration. It's not the type of configuration you would use as a daily driver. There are substantial benefits changing to drag bakes. The manual master cylinder mod does not drop too much weight but will clean up the engine bay as you mentioned. If you're not changing the rotors and calipers, I wouldn't recommend doing it.

We have ABS delete kits for either using the stock booster/master cylinder or changing to a manual master cylinder and removing the booster using manual master kits you see other vendors/manufactures on the board offers.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SJMMFGINC
If you're changing to a manual master cylinder kit, changing to drag brakes matched with the manual master cylinder, its a good drag configuration. It's not the type of configuration you would use as a daily driver. There are substantial benefits changing to drag bakes. The manual master cylinder mod does not drop too much weight but will clean up the engine bay as you mentioned. If you're not changing the rotors and calipers, I wouldn't recommend doing it.

We have ABS delete kits for either using the stock booster/master cylinder or changing to a manual master cylinder and removing the booster using manual master kits you see other vendors/manufactures on the board offers.

Hope this helps.

Just changing to manual master cylinder and still using the stock brakes, and of course in conjunction with your abs delete w/ linelock kit. Will this have any unsafe issue? Can't afford the expensive drag brakes at the moment.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Launching!

I'd probably skip removing the booster at this time. It's a bit rough trying to stop using stock brakes and a manual booster. ...but it's doable. It will feel quite different. That is up to you.

If you wish, at a later date, you can replace two of the lines when you want to do the master cylinder. Nothing will have to be moved (referring to line lock and proportioning valve. Literately, you'll just unscrew two lines, remove booster, install the new master cylinder and replace with two new lines.

We offer this to our previous customers who have done the same thing.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

What sjm is recommending sounds like a good way to go it is def. harder to stop without the booster it doesn't bother me so much because I drive the car only when it's nice out and to the track. Over the winter I'm switching to drag brakes I'll make sure I post up when I do the swap
Old 05-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Teching In

i know this is a really old thread but i was wanting to clean up my engine bay and wanted to delete the booster, so do i need to get a manual brake setup. Also can you keep stock brakes on a 2001 camaro and not have problems??? Its hard to find any info at all to see if anyone has done it what is needed.
thanks
Old 07-17-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is more people using factory disc brakes with booster delete brake set up?
You like it?

Quick Reply: Brake booster and ABS removal on my street car