Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can't reuse bolts when swapping to aftermarket K member?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't reuse bolts when swapping to aftermarket K member?

I bought a BMR turbo K member to replace the factory one. I went to install my engine yesterday, and I guess the factory bolts used on the old K member are too short and I couldn't get them to thread. The instructions didn't say anything specific about needing new bolts, but I can't see how I'd be able to reuse the factory ones.

I'm sure I can find longer bolts of the same thread and pitch at the hardware store, I just want to make sure I get the right "grade" to be at least as strong, if not more, than the factory. The bolts have a "9.8" on them. I believe they are M12 standard pitch.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be very sure that the BMR k-member allows you to use all the factory bolts. Which bolts specifically are you referring too?
Old 11-06-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry, I should have specified. It's the two "longer" bolts on each side that attach the K member to the frame. I was able to reuse the two rear short ones.

I put the bolt through my factory K member and visually compared the amount of threads poking through on the other side to the BMR K member, and there was probably 1/5 of an inch less bolt showing through on the BMR than the factory. I thought it was weird.

I bought some longer bolts at the hardware store just to get it back in the car for now, they're M12 standard thread 10.9 grade, so they're stronger than the factory ones. I won't be driving it any time soon, but I am interested to see if that's "normal".

Being that the directions didn't specifically mention using different bolts, I assumed the factory ones would work.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i don't see how they could be too short. i just swapped in a UMI k-member and was able to use all the factory bolts. i know it's not a BMR but i don't see how there could be that big a difference in reference to the bolts. maybe take some pictures so we can get a visual?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

I used all my stock bolts on my bmr k member
Old 11-06-2011, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

All my bolts were factory bolts....had no problems. My suggestion is to either get some from a wrecking yard to compare to yours, or buy new ones from GM. I'm guessing that someone has possibly done an engine replacement on your car previously, and neglected to pay attention to which bolts were supposed to go where.

Just a thought.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:17 AM
9 Second Club

Stock bolts on my Bmr k-member.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep, you will reuse your factory bolts with the K-member and we haven't had any issues.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Interesting. I know for a fact that the engine has never been out prior to me, but there is definitely a difference in the amount of threads sticking through to the other side between the two K members. I suppose it's possible I mixed the bolts up with something else, but unlikely. I may back out one of the replacements I bought and try threading the factory one in and see what happens.

Last edited by evo462; 11-07-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by evo462
Interesting. I know for a fact that the engine has never been out prior to me, but there is definitely a difference in the amount of threads sticking through to the other side between the two K members. I suppose it's possible I mixed the bolts up with something else, but unlikely. I may back out one of the replacements I bought and try threading the factory one in and see what happens.
There is plenty of threads on the factory k-member bolts that you should have no issues reusing them. The factory k-member bolts are so large and unique it is pretty unlikely that you could mix them up. Let us know if you need any other help.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by evo462
and there was probably 1/5 of an inch less bolt showing through on the BMR than the factory.
Is this accurate? 1/5 of an inch less? Like .20 less? That amount would be completely irrelevant as the bolt should have 1.5>2 inches sticking out up-top and going through the nut on the chassis.

Quick Reply: Can't reuse bolts when swapping to aftermarket K member?