Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Someone talk me in to Koni 4/4s and stranos...my bank account is going to be hurting

Old 11-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone talk me in to Koni 4/4s and stranos...my bank account is going to be hurting

Tired of the 4x4 look. I am finally going to bite the bullet and lower my SS. I want the 1.2" strano spring look. Probably going to upgrade the brakes and brake pads along with an adjustable phb while I'm at it. Is a PHB necessary if I'm not racing?

If you have this setup, post pics and tell me why you chose the konis. I know I want the strano springs. Just need help to get over the price shock on the konis.

Current look....Too High

Last edited by QIK E; 11-08-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey QIK. Good choice on the Strano's. His springs get rave reviews as I'm sure you know.

A PHB is always necessary to keep the rear centered. I'm thinking what you meant "is an aftermarket PHB necessary"? As you lower the car, the differential becomes uncentered a bit. Single adjustable PHB is a good choice for your application. You only need double adjustable if you're going to be changing things often.

We can provide a number of different bushing/rod-end/Roto-Joint options for your PHB or you can one-stop-shop at Strano's. He can hook you up.

ramey
Old 11-08-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

You want them because only the very best will do and it's worth every penny. Sam developed his springs using Koni's and do the best job squeezing every bit of performance out of them. Take it from a guy that just doesn't cruise the back roads but goes out and hammers it big time, you put a lot of faith in the equipment you buy and provide you with the performance you want and this package delivers every time.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Launching!

That's what I'm talking about. Starting to feel better already. And UMI, I see your adjustable PHB with poly on ebay. Not a bad price. Might go ahead and throw it on while I'm at it
Old 11-08-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the 4/3 Konis. I love them and worth every penny IMO. Getting his springs soon but I can tell you from stock to Konis the ride is so much nicer. Car is alot more stable over bumps and in corners now.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

I've been saving and will be calling him today or tomorrow to order koni/springs/phb/sway bars. Usually there a bad review out of every 10-15 pros. NEVER heard a bad review with Sam's koni/spring combo.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Sam's springs are 1st rate as I have had a set for a year now and have zero issues.
Konis are great shocks and if your a stickler for "ultimate" setups, the ones to have.
I run Bilsteins on my WS6 and have no complaints at all.
She corners like a jack rabbit and the vertical translation is nice n firm without being harsh.
The money I saved on the Bilsteins bought me my adj. PHB and change back....
Old 11-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Launching!

My greatest concerns are comfortable ride and reliability. I've heard konis are the best in terms of everyday driving
Old 11-08-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

! question to UMI. Would an on car adjustable panhard bar be fine?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yes, no problem on the on car adjustable. They always work fine and make it easy and quick to adjust. I leave that up to the customer if they want to upgrade.

We also have some other cool options such as Roto-Joint(s) and rod end(s). Each have their advantages.

ramey
Old 11-08-2011, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redracer1
You want them because only the very best will do and it's worth every penny. Sam developed his springs using Koni's and do the best job squeezing every bit of performance out of them. Take it from a guy that just doesn't cruise the back roads but goes out and hammers it big time, you put a lot of faith in the equipment you buy and provide you with the performance you want and this package delivers every time.
X2. My future setup will be Konis and springs with the same rates as Stranos. I have been on spirited drives with redracer1 and he frequently pushes his car to the extremes.

Honestly, the only complaint for the Strano/Koni combo that I have heard was from one person who said the ride was too stiff. I asked if he tried adjusting them, and he said no. I drove his car about 25 miles of streets/freeway and it felt 100% fine to me.

I run a Frankenstein setup, and usually recommend Koni/Strano over my setup just due to simplicity (it's pretty easy to just blurt out Koni/Strano... for a good reason).
Old 11-08-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by QIK E
My greatest concerns are comfortable ride and reliability. I've heard konis are the best in terms of everyday driving
If you really don't care about handling at all, Bilstiens wouldn't hurt you if you want to save some money. But if you do care about handling then its atleast Konis, I don't see any good reason not to.
As far as price, I don't see them as unreasonable by any means, considering how drastically they change the car, and I can't think of anything else for around that price (what around $800 now?) that makes anywhere near the difference they make.
I love seeing this thrown around when people are spending thousands on heads/cam/supporting mods to gain 50+RWHP, that's only useful when your going WOT (which only lasts for a few seconds at a time anyway), where as the shocks are working 100% of the time you are driving the car and you can feel them 100% of the time (that nice, solid, firm feel like a German sports sedan). Your getting better ride, significantly better handling, feel, balance, control and you get adjustable to tune all that to your liking or a certain spring rate, and a life time warranty to boot. These have been hands down the best mod (and best money spent) ive done to this car.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Launching!

I went ahead and ordered some a couple hours ago. $879 shipped was the best price I could find so not too terrible. Ordering Strano springs and a UMI single adjustable PHB tomorrow with poly bushings tomorrow......or would it behoove me to wait a couple weeks for you sale UMI?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:39 AM
12 Second Club

I just want to recommend an on-car adjustable panhard bar. Makes life SO much easier when adjusting.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Buy your parts little by little. The Koni's are worth the wait. I walked by a pile of parts before I bought everything I needed and did the install. What a difference!!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

My 1LE already had Koni DA's so that was a plus for me and the upgraded sway bars. My suggestion to you is to call up Sam and talk to him. But I can already just about gaurantee I know what he is going to say. Get the springs, and Koni's. Probably say that the SA are good enough for most people unless you are doing some serious autoX. Then he will most likely say to hold off on a PHB and see how the car sits. Mine might be off by 1/8 in max. Not very noticable at all. I have yet to put one on yet. What you may want to add instead of that is Sam's sway bars to help out as well. But like I said, call him up. You can't go wrong with this combo. My car is so much more predictable now. I just love it. And, if you do get a little silly and she gets out of line a little, or unsettled, it's night and day difference to bring her back and settle down. I still need to do some shock adjustments and alignment, but even without, she's a beast. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
X2. My future setup will be Konis and springs with the same rates as Stranos. I have been on spirited drives with redracer1 and he frequently pushes his car to the extremes.

Honestly, the only complaint for the Strano/Koni combo that I have heard was from one person who said the ride was too stiff. I asked if he tried adjusting them, and he said no. I drove his car about 25 miles of streets/freeway and it felt 100% fine to me.

I run a Frankenstein setup, and usually recommend Koni/Strano over my setup just due to simplicity (it's pretty easy to just blurt out Koni/Strano... for a good reason).

Springs with the same rates as mine? I guess I'm just curious why not mine? As for the complaint... well if you liked it who cares what the owner thought, and where the shocks are set would make a huge difference in the ride.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Springs with the same rates as mine? I guess I'm just curious why not mine?
Im by no means saying your over priced (bc your not) but ide guess he found a spring that has the same rates for cheaper (but didnt wanna downtalk your springs by saying to use someone else's) :shrug: <--- this place needs a shrug smiley haha
Old 11-09-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX

I love my adjustibility in these shocks. I run mine pretty hard but still on stock springs. When I switch to stranos I will lighten them up some. Fun to play with and see the differences in how it rides.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Springs with the same rates as mine? I guess I'm just curious why not mine? As for the complaint... well if you liked it who cares what the owner thought, and where the shocks are set would make a huge difference in the ride.
I'd be switching to some sort of coil-over conversion setup (like Ground Control), and that's the only reason I wouldn't be running your exact springs. I know there's a nice weight savings with Strano springs vs. the competition. And yeah, I thought it was fine... The owner is too lazy to change the settings or even ask you for a softer setting recommendation (he bought Koni SA/Strano springs/shocks and I think your F+R swaybars from you a couple years ago).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Someone talk me in to Koni 4/4s and stranos...my bank account is going to be hurting