Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sping Replacement

Old 11-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sping Replacement

Im about to replace my springs on my 98 SS...... I see the rears not being to big of a problem but does anybody have and good tips for the front... will I need to have a ball joint remover?

thanks for the help
Old 11-12-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not if you're just replacing the springs. simple hand tools and a strut spring compressor is all you need. the compressor you can rent at any auto part store. it's always good to inspect the rest of your suspension while you have it apart, so be ready to replace those if they need it.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Teching In

ok thanks... yea the reason for doing this is When I bought the car it was it had lowering spings already on it... I live out in the country and the roads here are not designed for a lower car so I am going back to regular springs ... how long of a process do you think this will take...

thanks for the help.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

A common problem with the fronts is the top nut all rusted into the mount. Mine is always garage kept and the nuts had a little rust but nothing compared to pictures I have seen. I rented the spring compressors and took the first one apart. I ended up taking them to a shop and finishing them up. They charged me $50 to put one together and R&R the other. Much easier with their compressor versus those J hook compressors. I did the rears in an hour and the fronts in about 3-4 hours. You don't need a ball joint remover. Just remove the nut and whack it on the side with a hammer. Mine popped right off. Just don't hit the ball joint. I also pulled the master cylinder out of the booster (thanks Sam Strano for that tip). That gives you all the room you need to get to the two torx bolts. Once you loosen the two bolts on the ABS block, you slide it and the MC out of the way. No lines need to be removed. All pretty straight forward. Find the video that the "BlueKnight" did. It's on here or Streetfire.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99zee
A common problem with the fronts is the top nut all rusted into the mount. Mine is always garage kept and the nuts had a little rust but nothing compared to pictures I have seen. I rented the spring compressors and took the first one apart. I ended up taking them to a shop and finishing them up. They charged me $50 to put one together and R&R the other. Much easier with their compressor versus those J hook compressors. I did the rears in an hour and the fronts in about 3-4 hours. You don't need a ball joint remover. Just remove the nut and whack it on the side with a hammer. Mine popped right off. Just don't hit the ball joint. I also pulled the master cylinder out of the booster (thanks Sam Strano for that tip). That gives you all the room you need to get to the two torx bolts. Once you loosen the two bolts on the ABS block, you slide it and the MC out of the way. No lines need to be removed. All pretty straight forward. Find the video that the "BlueKnight" did. It's on here or Streetfire.
Here's the video he's referencing. Pretty helpful. You might need to blast some of the nuts with lubricant if they are seized. https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...all-video.html
Old 11-13-2011, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

The rears are very simple... Put jack stands under the body of the car and a jack under rear end. Unbolt the lower bolt on the rear shocks, then slowly lower the rear end. The rear lowering springs will probably fall out. Then place in stock springs, make sure you spin them around until they are seated in the top retainer properly. Lift up rear end with jack, rebolt rear shocks back on.

Fronts are a hassle. I found it easier to get them on/off by unbolting the front sway bar- which allows the lower a-arm to drop down 2-3 inches further. They will be easier to remove then to replace. I truely wish I would have known about the tip as stated above.

You'll need basic hand tools, Torx wrenches, Pry bar (may not use, but good to have handy).

It took me 4-5 hours to do all 4 front and rear springs and shocks/struts. Take your time it's really not that hard jus time consuming.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys for all the tips made this pretty smoother other than when I got it all apart I found that one of my strut mounts were shot..... the right side strut nut was rusted to the strut mount and ended up having to replace. but other than that everythings done......

had a quick questions so I tightened the sway bar back up and when I went down the road one of the rubber bushings popped off.. My question is am I suppose to tightnen them all the way down are is it a adjustment thing.

Also not use to the car being up that high lol feels a little different driving lol
Old 11-19-2011, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Yeah it'll feel like a 4x4 for a day or two. Lol. Whenever I took mine off I marked its location prior to removal. Then tightened it back down to that spot. How far down did you go?

Search this Thread