Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

High speeds without front sway bar.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Default High speeds without front sway bar.

I still haven't put my front sway bar on yet. I hit about 80 mph yesterday on a straightaway. It felt pretty stable but I was wondering for those with no front sway bar how you feel your f-body handles at high speeds.

I was a bit nervous so I didn't push it any further but if I take it to the drag strip I'm sure I'm gonna exceed 100mph in the 1/4". I'd like to know what to expect, if anything.

Thanx
Old 11-07-2011, 05:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no problems with mine 150+
Old 11-07-2011, 06:25 AM
paq
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's fine if you don't take tight curve like you did with the swaybar on and with the same speed. it's feel more like a boat ( like a roadmaster or caprice) without one!. but once you do some driving, it feel completly normal.

good luck!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sway bar, theoretically, doesn't do anything while going straight. Fast drag cars routinely run without one, or at least an unhooked unit. As mentioned above, don't stuff it into an exit ramp on the way home and expect it to handle the same way.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, it's not going to handle the same because the sway bar essentially ties the two side of the car together and limits body roll while going around the corner. Without it, each side is entirely independent of each other and relies on the shocks and springs to control body roll. This might make the car feel less tied down going around a ramp or tight corner.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have your rear bar connected?

If you have to take evasive maneuvers, especially in the wet, you might find the oversteer tendency unwelcome.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

This comes up periodically, and it ALWAYS turn into a royal pissing match.

A sway bar works anytime the car or suspension wants to move. The only time it's not in play is if the car is going dead straight, and hits the same bump, at the exact same time so the control arms both move up in exactly they same manner.

It's a spring, it's a torsion spring. Any time the road moves around under the car, or the body leans at all, including if getting smacked by a gust of wind, the bar works. Using drag cars at the example here isn't good IMHO, because the picture of high speed stability they usually are not.

The simple fact is the bar adds a lot of wheel rate to the car, running without even a stock one will make the front a lot more floppy and more roll prone. Also in evasive maneuvers, not only is the front slow to respond and floppy, but the inside rear tire can come completely off the ground because the front can dump so hard. It happens, you see it all the time at drag strips when guys lose it and the car starts a tank-slapper.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

I've been 135+ in mine without a front sway bar, going straight I can't tell a difference, but I sure wouldn't want to have to make lane change at anything over 90 or so. You just have to drive sensible with it.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:56 AM
TECH Resident

Interesting!!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

When I had my Trans Am I daily drove without the front sway bar for over 5 years. I really couldn't tell that much of a difference but I didn't take corners too fast and never really pushed the car too hard as far as handling went. If you are more drag race oriented and are a bit cautious you would have no problem running your car wothout the front sway bar.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I drove 130+ and couldn't tell a difference? Wow. Funny since there are also folks that can tell a huge difference @ 30 mph. I guess it's just another one of those things that GM spent money on that really doesn't matter. Wonder why IndyCars have them with as much lighter and stiffer as they are, let alone Sprint Cup cars.... or well any car that isn't meant only to go straight (and hope that you stay straight).

To each is own, I think you guys are a little nuts. Jesus Christ, if you run a hollow front bar, even just a stock one it's minimal weight and you can just unhook the damned thing when you drag race if it's that big a deal to you. I say that, all the time, and never get a rational answer why that's not a good idea.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I have driven without and there is a difference. My car is set up for turning, but when I want every last little bit at the strip I pull it off and drive like a prude to the track, then again I have 185 front tires on it then too vs my autocross set up with 315s on the front.

If you ever need a max effort emergency lane change, I will take the sway bar every time. Also remember when setting up a car, extra rear sway bar is used to loosen the car up, imagine what no front bar with an oversized rear will do at the limit.

Just because it can and has be done, does not mean it is smart.

Quick Reply: High speeds without front sway bar.