Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front strut questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Front strut questions

A few weeks ago I had a few rear shock questions and posted here. I just did the change to Bilsteins and it was simple. I can really feel the difference and was going to wait on replacing the front struts, but now I am going ahead with the fronts.

I have a step by step write up, with pictures, and I think I will be ready when the struts arrive. Need a few more tools, spring compressors, etc.

Mostly stock 2002 WS6 Trans Am. I am leaving the ride height stock.

Questions:

Will I need to do a front wheel alignment after I change the front struts if I do nothing but change the stock shocks out to Bilsteins?

If I am leaving the stock ride height alone should I just re-use the stock springs? Is there another stock height front spring that I should use while I am changing the struts?

Budget is somewhat limited but while I have it apart is there really anything else that I should do?

Stock height, daily driver , get off my lawn, etc. Just asking if changing only the front struts to Bilstein and doing nothing else to the front is Ok. Rears are done.

Thanks, guys.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock springs will work fine with the Bilsteins - just be prepared to see rust at the top/inside of the upper shock mounts. 95% of the fbodies out there will be rusty regardless of age/mileage. If you can't get the shock nut off due to rust, be prepared to buy new uppers - moogs work just fine

An alignment isnt necessary but here, theyre less than $50 for the front end so may as well...
Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VinR1
Stock springs will work fine with the Bilsteins - just be prepared to see rust at the top/inside of the upper shock mounts. 95% of the fbodies out there will be rusty regardless of age/mileage. If you can't get the shock nut off due to rust, be prepared to buy new uppers - moogs work just fine

An alignment isnt necessary but here, theyre less than $50 for the front end so may as well...
Perfect.

Yep, you will encounter a few rusty bolts most likely, so grab a can of PB blaster or penetrating oil to help you out. You may want to grab a new set of coated nuts from the parts store. (haha, he said nuts)

Stock springs are just fine on the Bilsteins, but now you have the doors opened to run lowering springs in the future, should you choose to.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The front "struts" really aren't struts, they're shocks, which is why you can replace them and not need to get an alignment afterward.

No problem reusing your springs if you're staying at stock height, as already mentioned.

And I agree on the upper mounts - odds are pretty good you'll need to replace those as things tend to rust together.

Notice when you take it apart that there are TWO parts to the mount - the big rubber mount itself, then the wedge shaped isolator that keeps the shock from pulling through and ripping the mount. You'll probably be fine reusing the isolator (heck my car was stupid rusty but the isolators were just fine) but the mounts will most likely be toast. Just plan on replacing them. Moogs work well, as do OEM. Do NOT buy any others as others seem to not fit near as well.

Also be forewarned that GM in their brilliance used two Torx bolts on the driver side mount under the brake master cylinder. Don't know why, and it is stupid since clearance is tight enough already! Moogs come with standard bolts so at least it is easier to put back together.

Quick Reply: Front strut questions