Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks and struts

Old 11-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks and struts

Hey everyone, I actually got to drive my 99 T/A last night.......

But it is really in need of an all around replacement of shocks/struts.I wont drive it again until i replace them.

I am not a hard core drag racer and this car is my weekend driver. I would like to take the car to the track a couple times, but i am on an extreme budget right now due to the holidays.

I am asking for some help on what shocks/struts to use. I have been looking all around, and i see many different options and a HUGE PRICE difference. Please help me to understand what i need. I have new wheels and tires on the car now, and was thinking about lowering the car later down the road. 18s in the rear and 17s in the front fyi.

Please help so I dont order the wrong stuff. THANKS!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Launching!

I bought the KYB AGX adjustable shocks (which I have not put on yet). From what I read the Bilstein HD or the Bilstein SLP sets are really good for the money. I bought mine from Stranoparts.com
Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I would go with the bilsteins personally.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

We don't have struts, only shocks. Bilsteins are hands down the best bang for the buck shock for these cars.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out Stranoparts.com. You can get the Bilstein shocks along with eibach lowering springs in a package deal. I have yet to do these myself, but I hear that just installing the Bilsteins almost makes it a different car-the ride and handling improves THAT much...
Old 11-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Teching In

ok one other problem..... the previous owner removed the bump stops, and cut the mounting bracket out. This made for an easy rear wheel install, but i want to know if it will really screw up the car. I thought by getting a set of adjustable shocks i could counter the lack of a bump stop.

thoughts?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:24 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't the bumpstops just screw into the frame? Or are you saying that the section that the bumpstops screw into is.........gone?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Teching In

where they screw onto is gone.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i bought konis from sam strano. he'll hook you up.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:18 AM
Launching!

Sam Strano is the Fbody Suspension KING. Single Adjustable Konis up front, Bilstein Non-Adjustables in back, and it handles like a vette, and its all a very good price. Plus, Sam is an awesome guy and will definitely walk you through it and give you all the information and answers you need. Give him a call and check him out, stranoparts.com
Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, i am in the exact same shoes as you. I put my TA into storage and the next time I drive it will be to drop it off at the shop in the spring to install new suspension, not taking it out of storage otherwise. I have thought long and hard about this and done a lot of research. Like you I am only a casual drag racer and mainly DD my car. From my research the only options for shocks are Bilsteins or Konis 4/4's for what we do. The Koni being the better shock but also over 2x the cost. Since I will never push my car to the need of the Koni I have decided on the Bilsteins. I have also opted to lower the car at the same time, because the springs are cheap and no extra work if you are changing shocks anyway. I would do both at once to really save time/money esp if you are not doing this yourself. The springs I have been thinking of are strano springs. He sells a package deal of bilstein shocks and his springs for $620. I don't see how you can beat that if you are on a budget without really cheaping out on shocks.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Competion Engineering make a 3 way adjustable rear Drag Shock for 98-02 Camaros that won't blow your budget. You can get 2 for less than $100 at www.Speedinc.com.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people suggested Konis, which are certainly the best of the best, but no where near affordable for someone on a tight budget.

I bought Bilsteins for my car and cut a coil off the stock springs. The result is about a 1" drop and a more comfortable and controlled ride than stock. I'm sure a Koni/Strano-equipped car would whoop me around a circuit, but for a daily driver, it's hard to beat for $400.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Latch
Some people suggested Konis, which are certainly the best of the best, but no where near affordable for someone on a tight budget.

I bought Bilsteins for my car and cut a coil off the stock springs. The result is about a 1" drop and a more comfortable and controlled ride than stock. I'm sure a Koni/Strano-equipped car would whoop me around a circuit, but for a daily driver, it's hard to beat for $400.
Konis don't hold a candle to AFCOs.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NC98Z
Konis don't hold a candle to AFCOs.
LMFAO... In what sense? Allowing weight transfer?
Apples to oranges comparison, Koni sports are handling shocks, AFCOs are drag shocks (at least the ones available for Fbodies).
Old 11-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Awsome guys, thanks for all the feedback!!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

There are a few options out there since youre primarily a street car. I can agree that the Bilsteins are the best bang for the buck. My T/A had the deCarbons from the factory and moving up to the Bilstein HDs was a tremendous difference for the vehicle in every way. No more "Caddy" float going over bumps, no more sloppy body roll, and the ride became more taught. But that's compared to the deCarbons - a stack of sponges could probably do better. jk

Do whichever you budget will allow. The KYBs aren't a bad shock, but the Bilsteins - which cost more - are certainly better and shortcomings are to be expected with the more bargain-friendly shocks. If money isn't an issue with the shock purchase, the Konis are hands down the favorite in dampening because they're just that good.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

I just purchased an 01 SS and I'm in the same situation guys, thanks for the info it really helped.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Teching In

+1 on the Bilsteins from Strano! I upgraded mine recently after seeking advice from Sam. He had some good tips that allowed me to be prepared to complete the upgrade myself (rusty top front shock nuts anyone?).

The upgrade from the stock DeCarbons is dramatic. It also revealed how many bushings were well worn in my suspension. I've been cycling through those as time allows and my suspension has become almost as quiet as a new car over bumps!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shocks and struts