Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brand of sway bar end links matter?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default brand of sway bar end links matter?

I bought both rear sway bar end links for my Trans Am at carquest (12 bucks for both) and I'm wondering if the brand really matters. The car isn't a road race car or anything but it will be lowered and will see a few hard turns occasionally. Will these be ok?
Old 11-29-2011, 03:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Vandyke.

The end link has two important components which may be affected by "quality" but for the most part we don't seem to see many failures.

(1) The bolt quality is important as the bolt can corrode and break in tension.
(2) The poly bushing/biscuit/whatever you call it can "squish" and leave you loose.

Of course a premium bolt with Energy Suspension poly is probably best but the carquest model should be fine.

Don't ask me how I know but never use all-thread for an end link. Apparently all thread is grade zero and won't survive a 1-5/8 solid bar on an oval track car. When it breaks in the center of the corner the car goes nuts and the link sounds like a gunshot and the people in the stands duck for cover...

ramey
Old 11-29-2011, 04:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Ramey hit the nail on the head. It's also why we all provide our own hardware with out kits. We want to ensure the quality of the materials. Every bit of force transfered to the bar is sent there through the endlink. So they're the first to break or bend under load.

I don't imagine CarQuest parts being that bad for a stock replacement.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Ha ha I bet that was an interesting situation lol. Thanks. Now I know what to look for as a sign of failing. The bushings feel stout but you never know. I just hate the fact they're bright blue they might get some spray paint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brand of sway bar end links matter?