Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Real handling oriented Front lower control/A-arms!

Old 12-02-2011, 01:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Real handling oriented Front lower control/A-arms!

These are not your typical drag-type slight lower a-arms. These can take a beating.. just look at them! These arms can take a beating. While not as light as drag type arms, they do save approximately 5 pounds per side vs. stock. And they are much stronger than tubular lower A-arms with bent kick-back tubes.

These can be used with stock, or UMI's beefy 2 cross tube k-members.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=219&ModelID=7 $479.99

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...219&PartID=876 $529.99

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

are you running these yet on your car sam?
Old 12-02-2011, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to clarify, the weight savings does not apply to versions using the Roto-Joints.

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
When designing these A-arms weight was important but was second on the list. Our goal was to design a stronger A-arm with the adjustment and appropriate suspension movement needed (no friction in the suspension). If we could get weight savings from the A-Arm that was a bonus.

When we first started the design the Roto-Joints weren't really an option so the arm was built with rod ends which is how we saved 5lbs. The Roto-Joint is a heavier assembly and kills the weight savings.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
are you running these yet on your car sam?
Nope...

Two reasons:
1. I don't own the car anymore.

2. They are not legal for the class the car was built for. In fact Ryan asked me to test them, but I couldn't for that reason.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Can you elaborate on the differences between the joints
Old 12-02-2011, 06:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey gmdoctor. Thanks for the question. Rod ends are the solution of choice for pure race cars and serious street cars. The downfall is potential noise and durability. Street and track abuse can pound the liners out and drive you crazy with their clunking. Some customers don't worry about replacement and figure it's part of the game. The solution is our Roto-Joint. It acts much like a race rod end but has a comparatively large Delrin liner which is able to take years of abuse. If they do fail, the Delrin is easily replaceable. So, a Roto-Joint is a comfortable riding rod end alternative. We make them 100% in-house in Philipsburg, PA.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...age=roto_joint

Ramey
Old 12-05-2011, 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

They look great, would love to hear some reviews.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well Ramey beat me to the question the difference between rod-ends and roto-joints.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

xmas is already spent.....gotta wait for tax refund now
Old 12-06-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A set of rod end arms is going on my wish list! Ill take all the weight savings I can get, and Im not always nice to my car lol.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

they look nice and I'm interested.

My only question is about those shock mounts... are they really going to stay put?
Old 12-10-2011, 08:40 AM
FormerVendor

Good morning V7.

The shock mounts will stay put. Any lateral cornering force is absorbed by the actual arm/spindle/upper assembly. Also, any forces during acceleration and braking are handled by the actual arms. The only force on the shock mount is the weight of the car via the spring and damper.

Most of the force through the shock mount is tension and compression. Think "chair leg" and how much a chair can support...

Hope this helps. They really are nice pieces and are very durable.

ramey
Old 12-10-2011, 09:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly what Ramey has said.

Also, the pictures of the above a-arms are proto-type pictures from the original and first design. The finial design is the exact same except the outer shock mount was given more support. Hopefully we can have update photos as well as installed photos shortly.

Thanks for the interest,
Ryan
Old 12-25-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

How would the roto joint LCA compare to a stock LCA with the Global West weld-in bearing kit with regards to NVH? By the time I buy the Global West kit, ship it, have them welded in and shipped back, its gonna by close enough in cost to justify buying these new LCAs. And the roto joint is rebuildable...
Old 12-25-2011, 03:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
How would the roto joint LCA compare to a stock LCA with the Global West weld-in bearing kit with regards to NVH? By the time I buy the Global West kit, ship it, have them welded in and shipped back, its gonna by close enough in cost to justify buying these new LCAs. And the roto joint is rebuildable...
Hey ChrisR.

We have great feedback on the Roto-Joint quietness. They have the precision of a rod end with the comfort of a plastic dampened spherical ball.

I don't know how to quantify ours vs Global's from an engineering perspective but I do know our customers use them on the street with no NVH complaints.

If you're in CA, you could take advantage of our 15% off Christmas sale and then really save with our shipping incentive.

Merry Christmas

ramey

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Real handling oriented Front lower control/A-arms!