Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front upper spring mount/Upper A-Arm.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front upper spring mount/Upper A-Arm.

I'm wondering if anyone makes any billlet upper spring mounts?

Probably not, but who carries new ones?? As we all know these rust out and can become a PITA... I found some GLobal West upper A-Arms for cheap, so I can prolly swap em out on the new pieces.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The spring seats against them plus they do flex slightly so anything other than rubber or polyurethane would be noisy and dangerous

Find some good stock take-offs or Moog makes them too
Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Yeah.. Stock-ish is completely fine with me. I'd like to retain an isolator on the top. I agree that would be a dumb thing to mount metal to metal.

Moog, eh?? I'll look that up now.

-=EDIT=-
Found em for $55/ea. They're stock alright.. lol.. I know the Foxbodies have the adjustable camber kits with that trick looking upper piece, but again...... metal to metal.. Wondering how it will work to swap out the upper a-arms.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 12-03-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The upper a-arms are attached to a plate that is sandwiched between the upper shock mount and the inner fender - when you remove the shock/spring assembly, it will literally fall out
Old 12-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ Yeah.. Stock-ish is completely fine with me. I'd like to retain an isolator on the top. I agree that would be a dumb thing to mount metal to metal.

Moog, eh?? I'll look that up now.

-=EDIT=-
Found em for $55/ea. They're stock alright.. lol.. I know the Foxbodies have the adjustable camber kits with that trick looking upper piece, but again...... metal to metal.. Wondering how it will work to swap out the upper a-arms.
As the OP said, the upper arms will come right out when you pull the shock and spring assembly out.
As far as the upper shock mount that gets rusted out, make sure you buy Moog or get Genuine GM take offs. Anything else fails or the bolts strip out. Sometimes they don't even fit. Unless you're doing some hard core racing, you probably don't need those tubular upper arms. Stock uppers are good enough. You could always go with upper arm poly bushings for increased stiffness.
If you really want better controls arms, buy rear adjustable lowers. At least you will get more performance gains out of the purchase.
That's just my .02
Old 12-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Racin'Z28
As far as the upper shock mount that gets rusted out, make sure you buy Moog or get Genuine GM take offs. Anything else fails or the bolts strip out. Sometimes they don't even fit.
Aren't those AC Delcos? Just making sure since I'm getting new mounts also.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Launching!

They probably are AC delco. AC Delco is just one supplier to GM for their parts. I'm only saying be sure to get the original factory parts or Moog. I would personally go with the factory parts even though Moog is good. Sometimes the factory parts are actually better. I've used take off upper mounts, I do lots of autocrossing and push the front very hard with Koni's and Strano springs and I've never had a problem with the factory shock mounts or arms.

EDIT: By the way Lizard, nice car. Looks familiar.....
Old 12-04-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

racecraft makes a aftermarket upper mount. only works with a shock that has a rod end mount.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.racecraft.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=361

Quick Reply: Front upper spring mount/Upper A-Arm.