Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Putting together springs and shocks beforehand

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting together springs and shocks beforehand

Well, as many of you know, I tried installing my LS1 prokit with KYB AGX shocks twice this week and ran into rust everywhere!. I don't have a whole lot of time to leave car sitting so I put it back together and decided to buy all new parts and put them together then just slap them on one day. So far I have:

LS1 pro-kit springs
KYB AGX adjustable shocks
New monroe upper strut mounts x 2
coil spring seats including pan from moog x 2
coil spring insolators from moog x 2

Is there anything I am missing to slap these together then put them in the car on my next day off? How do I go about putting it all together since I have nothing to reference it to? Never have taken one of these combos apart. Thank you for everything in advance
Old 12-11-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought all new bushings, etc. When I took the stock pieces out, all I had to do was transfer the top plate and re-install. I can't find the picture I was trying to post. It showed all the pieces layed out. Still looking

Found it. If I remember right, there was one more rubber piece that isn't shown??
Attached Thumbnails Putting together springs and shocks beforehand-frshock.jpg  

Last edited by 99zee; 12-11-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

yea Ive seen that pic before. Looks like what I have bought so far. Just waiting for it to be delivered. If you can remember if there is one more piece lemme know! Would be a great help but I think that might be all of it pictured no?
Old 12-11-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Seems like I bought the mount and the other piece and ended up going back and getting another small rubber piece. Just can't remember. Maybe someone else can chime in.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Someone has to know if there is a piece that goes between the upper spring and the strut mount. Or is it built into the strut mount where the spring seats? Kinda like the coil spring seat for the bottom perch. Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The upper mount is rubber and the spring seats directly on it

I believe the other rubber piece you're looking for is shaped similar to the spacer that goes on directly before the nut. Its real flimsy and goes between the fender well and the upper a-arm steel mount. It just fills space and isnt needed, in fact most people just toss them. I still have a pair sitting in my garage if you want them but like I said, theyre not needed
Old 12-15-2011, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Ok here's what I'm wondering now. I also ordered new dust boots that came with a bumpstop. I've been seeing there is a bumpstop hat that sits on top of it correct? I can't find one of these for the life of me. I think I read I can use a washer and sit it on top of the bumpstop or something. Can anyone shed some light on this for me.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think bump stops are available anymore.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

When I ordered new dust boots it came with new bumpstops. I'm just lost on the bumpstop hat that goes above it. Do I even need to use it or can I use a washer?
Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dainius56
When I ordered new dust boots it came with new bumpstops. I'm just lost on the bumpstop hat that goes above it. Do I even need to use it or can I use a washer?
Hey bud, I can't help you with that as it's been too long since I've done this... good luck with it though!

I wanted to throw one more tip in there that really applies to any strut assembly on these cars, try to line up the a-arm feet of the shock and the upper rubber assembly out of the car, before you relieve the compressed spring. I just remember it went a LOT smoother for me when I eyeballed the upper mount and the a-arm feet so I didn't have to try to turn the shock with the force of the spring. Probably something you've already thought of, but it's a time saver
Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Anyone know where I could get the gm retainer 22129944 part number? Or can I just use a bigger od washer? Anyone know what size off hand?

Quick Reply: Putting together springs and shocks beforehand