Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rotating poly bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rotating poly bushings?

Example: rear lower control arms. Poly bushing LCAs prevent the "twist" motion when the rear is articulating, slightly hurting handling abilities. Rod ends allow that twist to happen but are much more harsh in regards to vibration, noise etc. In my opinion a end with a free rotating poly bushing would make the most sense for a DD, allowing the best handling and least amount of NVH, and cheaper because you wouldn't have to pay for the expensive Delrin ends. This is also a problem on the front control arms.

Why doesn't this exist? I'm picturing some kind of pivot on a small bearing mounted right before the bushing
Old 12-11-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

you are talking about a UMI Roto-Joint. its basically a rod end inside of a delrin race
Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...maybe see if someone like UMI can build their roto joints with poly bearings instead of delrin
Old 12-11-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
you are talking about a UMI Roto-Joint. its basically a rod end inside of a delrin race
Right. I mentioned delrin bushings. My point versus roto joints and the others is the price. What I'm saying is an end with a poly bushing that freely rotates would be cheaper and probably the best fit for most people, like myself. Best of both worlds, including cheaper and maintenance free.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe its just me, but Im running UMI Poly/Rod LCAs and PHR, and it doesnt really make much noise. Im actually looking in to swapping to a rod/rod setup now.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

J&M makes a set up much like your talking about. Aircraft have been using something similar for decades.

Last edited by tillery; 12-11-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Tie rod ends don't appear to make noise and appear to extemely durable and articulate as well as a roto joint or a delrin spherical joint. And they are readily available at almost any auto parts store in almost any size.

Has anyone tried a tie rod end on the front end of the lower control arm?

In order to use a tie rod end it would have to be mounted in the same position as it is on the front of the car with the attaching end of the tie rod pointing down thru a plate that would attach to the existing lower control arm mounting holes at the front.

Think about it, millions of cars drive daily depending on the tie rods to not break apart because of all of the stress put on them. And Nascar runs over 200 mph and counts on tie rods to not break as do Indy cars, even FI.

I've never heard a driver complain - well I lost the race because my tie rods broke

Are the stresses put on the front of the rear lower controls arms that much greater than the stress put on tie rods in the front suspension?

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 08-25-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Rotating poly bushings?