Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

winter rebuild time

Old 12-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter rebuild time

ok i have a 2000 camaro z28 it has about 130,000 miles on it and everything is stock no new parts and the suspension feels sloppy not like it was when it was new now that the winter is here i want to rebuild the front suspension. I dont know if i have to replace everything to make this car feel good again or what so thats what i am asking what should i replace right now i was thinking ball joints, a arm bushings, tie rods, strano springs, konis. So is there anything missing or do i even need to change all this stuff. I have never been to the drag strip but i might next year but i dont want a drag set up i would rather it handle good. Oh and one more question is i see spohn ball joints are a lot cheaper than the moog brand are these better or no.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going Stranos and Koni's I'd ask Sam what are the highest wear items and replace them as well. If you're truly looking for awesome front suspension I'd also ask Sam to include UMI a-arms in the package. You may also want to include an adjustable PHB so you can locate your differential properly side-to-side. The improved bushings in UMI's Panhard will also help your car feel tighter.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...=index&cPath=7
http://www.stranoparts.com/

ramey
Old 12-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Teching In

i thought you only got a arms for drag cars what you think about ball joints spohn or moog
Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 PM
FormerVendor

We have a-arms for most performance or heavy duty street applications. Moog is good, pro-forged, Howe, Afco, all good as well. Can't speak for spohn.

Ramey
Old 12-16-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
We have a-arms for most performance or heavy duty street applications. Moog is good, pro-forged, Howe, Afco, all good as well. Can't speak for spohn.

Ramey
What about Raybestos pro-grade? Not that it matters, but they offer a 2-yr warranty vs the standard 1-yr and they have a feel-good video to convince you they're good.

*Thinks of Tommy Boy "Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ..." * But really, any feedback on them?
Old 12-17-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if this is a daily driver, here's what i'd do, in this order:

Koni S/A shocks on all 4 corners + either Strano springs, or front perch (requires the Koni front shocks)/rear heater hose mod with the stock springs
adjustable PHB or watts link to keep the rear end centered
Moog upper & lower front control arms (which should include ball joints & new rubber bushings)
all new stock-replacment rubber bushings anywhere else there are bushings
new tie rods if the steering wheel has play in it (i.e., if you can turn the wheel without affecting the direction you're travelling)
front end alignment
Old 12-17-2011, 03:08 AM
Teching In

so moog makes control arms how much of an improvement are they over stock and where can you get them cause i cant find them anywhere
Old 12-17-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think there is a difference between Moog and stock control arms. I'd just get replacement Moog bushings and call it a day.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Teching In

just ordered moog bushings for front upper and lower control arms and upper and lower ball joints to get started advance auto has 15% off and free shipping over $100 made it a little cheaper
Old 12-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Teching In

saved fifty dollars at advanced so does anyone have tear down pictures of the front suspension i have been looking for it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: winter rebuild time