Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brakes dragging still after replacing rear brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes dragging still after replacing rear brake lines?

hey guys i just got done replacing rotors, pads, and new brake lines for the rear brakes. i did replace the rubber brake hoses to calipers and the hose junction on rear end next to pumpkin. we bled the lines with a mighty vac and got a ton of air out but when we were getting nothing but fluid we tried to pull it out of the shop and the rear brakes are still dragging some and i was wondering if anyone has had this problem or may have a solution. i had to replace old lines because they were worn and rusted pretty bad. also replaced rear drivers side caliper. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

car does have abs and tcs

Last edited by slow96ss; 12-16-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: add info
Old 12-16-2011, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

If everything was pretty rusty did you rebuild the calipers? Maybe the pistons are sticking? Caliper rebuild is only a couple bucks and takes a few minutes to do on a bench. I see you replaced the driver side caliper already.. Are you sure they are both sticking and not just one? I assume you replaced or cleaned up all the hardware and slides?
Old 12-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

i checked the caliper that was not replaced and it is fine. both sides are sticking and the rotors and pads are both correct size and all hardware was cleaned properly. abs light is not on but my brake light. i assumed that its not the problem though as the e-brake cables are off the car at the moment. i have been fighting this problem for about a week and cant figure it out. should i just try bleeding the lines more?
Old 12-16-2011, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

If something is sticking then bleeding the lines will not do anything. Have your adjusted the ebrake shoes? If they are to tight that will cause the drag.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

i have not adjusted the ebrake shoes. how do i go about doing that? this is the first time i have done brakes like this on any car so im kind of learning as i go.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

just got the rear disc brake diagram from the_merv so im going to adjust those tonight. thanks alot Merv!!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

[IMG]

well found this problem with the e-brake on the passanger side rear caliper. i went ahead and took the caliper off so i could fix it. when i got it finished and caliper bolted back on the car we bled the lines and could spin the tires but when we torqued the tires back on they would not spin by hand without having to put way more effort into it than should be needed. my thought was possibly wrong rotors but i have stock replacements that are the exact same size. i also checked and made sure the pads were correct so idk what else the problem could be as i have replaced everything i can think of to try and get this thing going. any ideas? im about to just take it to a brake and clutch shop up the street and pay them to do it
Old 12-18-2011, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

If everything was tightened and only thing off was your tire and it spun fine with no drag and then you put the wheel on and it didn't want to spin free anymore? If that's what your saying then its not the brakes, your wheel is rubbing something...

Quick Reply: brakes dragging still after replacing rear brake lines?