Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Finally Posting Pics of Lower Perch/Heater Hose Setup!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Finally Posting Pics of Lower Perch/Heater Hose Setup!

Well, I made this switch probably sometime back in September, but between work (and continually forgetting) it took me a while to get some pictures and even longer to remember to post them up here on LS1tech.

I know there have been questions in threads in the past asking for pictures of Koni's on the lower perch and the heater hose mod in the back, all with stock springs. I finally started digging through my pictures and I'll put a few up on here. Keep in mind the car wasn't the cleanest when I took the pictures, and I haven't had much of a chance to clean them up on Photoshop yet.

Before:

After:

I know the car wasn't super 4x4 to start with, but I think the new stance really helps the car out.

Thanks for looking!!!!

Last edited by 99FormulaM6r; 12-17-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u used lowering springs in the fronts?? and just heater hose in the back? i like that look of ur car...what all is needed ?
Old 12-16-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigpapaSS
u used lowering springs in the fronts?? and just heater hose in the back? i like that look of ur car...what all is needed ?
Seems like he just lowered the spring perch on the Koni shocks to give the front end a little drop. This pic is from my Koni front shock, it has two settings for spring perch height. It comes set to the top perch from the factory.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigpapaSS
Just as the last poster said, it's just the stock springs with the second perch on Koni SA's. The perch drops the spring by about .75", which in turns lowers the car by about .75". That way you get the suspension travel and lower spring rates of the stock springs with the looks (I suppose you could argue more benefits, but it's mostly looks) of a lowered car.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Perfect ride height IMO. I'm not a fan of the slammed stance everyone seems to drool over that makes the car impossible to drive or get a jack under.

How you do like the ride from the Konis?
Old 12-17-2011, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

^ Also interested in the ride quality of konis on lower perch and heater hose. Thinking about doing the same thing when the car comes out of storage next year! Stance is perfect! Nice work!
Old 12-17-2011, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just because your cars lowered doesnt mean it rides bad. When a car is "slammed" is when you give up ride quality, and even then I bet Sam, UMI, and BMR could put together a pretty nice riding slammed fbody.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ride quality is good. Actually, I installed Sam's 35/22 sway bars and new rear LCA bushings at the same time, and the ride quality in the front didn't seem to change. The ride quality in the rear didn't seem to be as good, but I think something was loose (I heard a popping sound in the back) and it honestly felt like something was binding (I think my PHB needs to be shortened up). I just felt good to have the car ready to go and being it was almost time for storage, I felt that I'd just take care of the rest of the adjustments in the spring, haha.

All in all, though, on smooth roads it drove awesome (those sway's and a good alignment made this car drive awesome) and on rough roads it only felt like the rear was getting slightly upset. Not a big deal and I think it's something that will be a simple matter to fix in the spring.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you put polyurethane bushings in the LCAs?
Old 12-17-2011, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
All in all, though, on smooth roads it drove awesome (those sway's and a good alignment made this car drive awesome) and on rough roads it only felt like the rear was getting slightly upset. Not a big deal and I think it's something that will be a simple matter to fix in the spring.
If you've got adjustable rears and haven't experimented with them yet give it a try. And don't be afraid to go more firm on the shocks. The word "firm" scared me a bit from deviating anywhere away from the softest setting. But once I started playing with it I realized I should've done it a long time ago. At full soft the rear was "sloppy". At full firm it was more under control and just right. Granted, I'm nowhere near stock, but the point is experiment!

Mark.

Last edited by Mark2002; 12-17-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mark2002
If you've got adjustable rears and haven't experimented with them yet give it a try. And don't be afraid to go more firm on the shocks. The word "firm" scared me a bit from deviating anywhere away from the softest setting. But once I started playing with it I realized I should've done it a long time ago. At full soft the rear was "sloppy". At full firm it was more under control and just right. Granted, I'm nowhere near stock, but the point is experiment!

Mark.
Yes, that's good advice. Actually when I first got the Koni's in without these other modifications I started on full soft in the rear with the seat folded down and continued to take corners and drive, see how it felt, and then stopped the car so I could tune the rear shocks. Just a 1/4 turn here and there (or less) can make a big difference.

I think it is good advice to go a little firmer in the back though, I don't know if I've thought about changing it since the drop, so thanks!

And to the other question, I used Moog 1LE-style rear bushings. The stockers weren't really shot, but I'm sure that transmitted a little more feeling into the car as well.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

It's still hilarious how high F-Bodies ride from the factory! haha

Looks damn good!
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
It's still hilarious how high F-Bodies ride from the factory! haha

Looks damn good!
Thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

It's amazing what a huge difference it makes - looks so much better! I'm running the same setup and it has been perfect for me.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Old thread bump, but can this be done with factory shocks or just the Koni's?

Just got the Z28 from my mother in law, and they put factory replacement shocks on last year. The front is harsh, like it has ZERO travel over bumps. This makes me think my FIL didn't install the setup correctly. It hits hard on bumps, almost like the shock is locked. And it sits high as a Giraffe's ***.

*HELP!*
Old 05-05-2014, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

only koni's single adjustable fronts have the lower perch option.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Killer_Z
only koni's single adjustable fronts have the lower perch option.
Thank you sir!
Old 05-06-2014, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, that's how it should of looked from the factory, good job!

Quick Reply: Finally Posting Pics of Lower Perch/Heater Hose Setup!