Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear suspension re-fresh, what should I replace?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear suspension re-fresh, what should I replace?

Hello everyone,

I have a 2000 Z-28 that I purchased as a rolling shell that I'm updating. I will be swapping rear ends next week and was curious what other things I should do while I'm back there. This car's purpose is 95% street/daily driving duty. I enjoy a good handling car but it won't be used on the track.

I already have BMR non adjustable lower control arms, sub-frame connectors installed, and a new set of Bilstein HD shocks. It looks like the previous owner also removed the rear spring isolators and did the "heater hose" mod.

Any other bushings that I should attend to while I'm working on this? Other upgrades that would greatly enhance the suspension for daily driving?

Thanks, any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by beyond-redline; 12-19-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey there! There are a lot of upgrades you can make to the car to enhance the comfort and performance of the Z. The major bushing issues or areas for improvement with the rear suspension are the lower control arms and torque arm. Replacing these can be a big help for traction and feel for the vehicle. Then you have the panhard bar, which locates the rearend. It's also isolated with rubber bushings and made from stamped steel - another component you may look to upgrade. I would only suggest this be adjustable because if you ever look to lower the car, your SOL with a fixed panhard.

Now if you're thinking about upgrade parts that will deliver more noticeable performance, you may want to look into shocks, springs, and sway bars..

If there is anything I can help you with, let me know. I can put together a custom package for you as well, if you're interested.

In a nustshell:
Lower control arms (which you have)
Torque arm
Shocks (which you have)
Springs
Sway bars
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Springs seem to be the next logical step given your mod list, IMO.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your help guys! I really appreciate the input.

A couple more questions if you don't mind helping out..

1. Are lowering springs on this platform a true improvement in handling, or more of a cosmetic modification?

2. Are the poly bushing kits available (rear end, control arm, etc) worth anything on a daily driven car?

Thanks again for the assistance. I might try and pick up a new TQ arm and panhard bar before we do the work in a couple of weeks.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

1. Lowering will help handling typically because your going to a stiffer spring. So no, they are not purely cosmetic. Worth the upgrade.

2. You can get poly bushing kits for all the bushings on the car. It will definitely stiffen up the feel of the steering and ride in general. With your rear LCAs don't do poly on both ends. Do standard rubber on the body side and poly on the axle side. That component needs to be able to flex some. Everything else I would say poly away!

Quick Reply: Rear suspension re-fresh, what should I replace?