Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what do you guys use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you guys use?

Im in the middle of a very long build and have full tubular umi suspension up front, just wondering what shocks and springs you guys use or if you like coil overs better?

Car will be mostly street but will see the track every now and then 2 times a month tops if that.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't go wrong with a set of Strange or Afco shocks for your f-body car. It is a coil-over design in the front from the factory and the rears can easily be converted to coil-over if you'd like.

The Strange shocks are by far the best bang for the buck and the Afco shocks are a bit more, but for a street/strip car they may just be the bet shock on the market in their price range.

You can find shocks for less that these, but you will most likely at some point end up saying " I wish I would have".

Give us a call... We stock both Afco and Strange here with various spring rates for your specific application, and guaranteed best prices.

Last edited by ssvert99; 12-30-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

If I was building a car for mostly street, I'd put bilsteins shocks, and some quiet comfortable tires. I'd check all my bushings and replace as necessary with new rubber bushings. I'd also check the ball joints, and tie rods ends and replace as necessary

I'd have a separate set of wheels and tires for track use. I wouldn't bother with anything else.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shane_ss
Im in the middle of a very long build and have full tubular umi suspension up front, just wondering what shocks and springs you guys use or if you like coil overs better?

Car will be mostly street but will see the track every now and then 2 times a month tops if that.
Hey Shane. Thanks for choosing UMI for your suspension needs.

Just wondering, for track use, assuming dragstrip?

ramey
Old 12-29-2011, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Running Koni's Shocks/Strano Springs in my street car.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssvert99
You can't go wrong with a set of Strange or Afco shocks for your f-body car. It is a coil-over design in the front from the factory and the rears can easily be converted to coil-over if you'd like.

The Strange shocks are by far the best bang for the buck and the Afco shocks are a bit more, but for a street/strip car they may just be the bet shock on the market in their price range.

You can fine shocks for less that these, but you will most likely at some point end up saying " I wish I would have".

Give us a call... We stock both Afco and Strange here with various spring rates for your specific application, and guaranteed best prices.
Alright will do thanks for the response

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
If I was building a car for mostly street, I'd put bilsteins shocks, and some quiet comfortable tires. I'd check all my bushings and replace as necessary with new rubber bushings. I'd also check the ball joints, and tie rods ends and replace as necessary

I'd have a separate set of wheels and tires for track use. I wouldn't bother with anything else.
I have most of the new bushings and stuff with the umi stuff already going to get some new hardware and small things here and there

as for tire I will be keeping my z06 c6 rims for now with some new 315s not sure on the tire yet though and will be saving for some drag rims and slicks

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hey Shane. Thanks for choosing UMI for your suspension needs.

Just wondering, for track use, assuming dragstrip?

ramey
I wouldnt have it any other way all though i have used brm stuff before just got it all new from umi at once

yes at the track but mostly got it for makes it easy to work on my car with the tubular k member and arms and it gives it a lot nicer look not to mention it helps with weight

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
Running Koni's Shocks/Strano Springs in my street car.
looks like alot of people like the konis shocks with strano springs thanks
Old 12-29-2011, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by shane_ss
Alright will do thanks for the response

I have most of the new bushings and stuff with the umi stuff already going to get some new hardware and small things here and there

as for tire I will be keeping my z06 c6 rims for now with some new 315s not sure on the tire yet though and will be saving for some drag rims and slicks

I wouldnt have it any other way all though i have used brm stuff before just got it all new from umi at once

yes at the track but mostly got it for makes it easy to work on my car with the tubular k member and arms and it gives it a lot nicer look not to mention it helps with weight

looks like alot of people like the konis shocks with strano springs thanks
You're getting opinions that essentially are pointing you in three different directions. AFCO's, and Strange are drag shocks, the Koni/Strano combination is a handling setup at the opposite end of the spectrum, and the setup i recommended is a street ride quality setup.

It's possible that if you mix and match, throw some poly bushings in there, you'll end up with a car that does nothing well. I guess what I'm trying to say is know the direction you're going with the car.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
You're getting opinions that essentially are pointing you in three different directions. AFCO's, and Strange are drag shocks, the Koni/Strano combination is a handling setup at the opposite end of the spectrum, and the setup i recommended is a street ride quality setup.

It's possible that if you mix and match, throw some poly bushings in there, you'll end up with a car that does nothing well. I guess what I'm trying to say is know the direction you're going with the car.
yes im doing my research before purchasing and making my final decision thanks for the input
Old 01-02-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the Strano springs along with their revalved Bilsteins and swaybars, and I am pretty happy with the ride quality. Obviously its not going to be soft, but I think its a decent compromise between something you could live with everyday and something that provides suspension performance that is probably better than my driving ability will ever be.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Im running the Koni/Strano combo and It handles great on the road and hooks up at the track with no issues
Old 01-02-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want handling adjustable coil-overs, look into KW Variant 3...

Quick Reply: what do you guys use?