Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

EBC Rotor cracked on inside...could it make this noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBC Rotor cracked on inside...could it make this noise?

I've been getting this noise for a little while...it usually only happens at low speeds, often when I'm braking. I originally thought it might be the suspension creaking or exhaust hitting, but I couldn't reproduce it. It sounded almost like the wheel was loose or something.

Well it's been bugging me more and more lately, so I went outside and did a "spot check" of the brake parts (just kinda tugged on them to see if anything was blatantly loose)

Upon running a finger around the edge of my less than 6 month old EBC rotor, I found that along the inside edge of the braking surface (not the inside braking surface, but actually inside the "sandwich" on both sides), for about a quarter of the rotor circumference, it's thin as hell...seems like part of the rotor may have cracked away!

My questions to you guys are:

-Would something like that be responsible for that kind of noise that I'm hearing?

-Can I replace just one rotor? Do I need to replace the pads and, if so, do I need to replace them for both sides?

-I've been driving on this for at least a month or two...should I be OK to continue driving as long as I don't go too hard on the brakes? It's not like it's pulling to one side...it just makes that noise every now and then. I'm gonna take care of it as soon as I can but it's 10:30 at night and I need to go to work in the morning.

-I warped a set of POwerslots before this...should I be checking for problems with the brake itself? ARe these aftermarket rotors prone to crap like this? Should I just get a set of AutoZone rotors and be done with it?

Thanks for any info.
-Mark
Old 03-16-2004, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by squirrels
My questions to you guys are:

-Would something like that be responsible for that kind of noise that I'm hearing?

-Can I replace just one rotor? Do I need to replace the pads and, if so, do I need to replace them for both sides?

-I've been driving on this for at least a month or two...should I be OK to continue driving as long as I don't go too hard on the brakes? It's not like it's pulling to one side...it just makes that noise every now and then. I'm gonna take care of it as soon as I can but it's 10:30 at night and I need to go to work in the morning.

-I warped a set of POwerslots before this...should I be checking for problems with the brake itself? ARe these aftermarket rotors prone to crap like this? Should I just get a set of AutoZone rotors and be done with it?

Thanks for any info.
-Mark
- Yes

- Inspect and replace if ANY damage is apparent. Don't mix and match pads ... rotors is kind of a grey area ... your call to replace and have a mixed brand of rotors.

- No worries ... it's only your brakes
FIX IT ASAP!

- AZ rotors are not a "Super Rotor". However, it's easier to swallow a trashed $30 rotor than it is a $130 rotor ...

If a chunk is gone and the other is fine, you might consider calling the vendor you bought them from and get the rotor replaced. Sounds like a defect.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:05 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to verify that I had indeed found the cause of the "noise".

I plan to replace them ASAP. I'd be out there in the driveway this afternoon, except for some reason we just went from 50-60 degree days to a deep-freeze and snow. (gotta love Maryland )

I've already got an E-mail in to EBC, but I don't know if they'll replace them if I can't provide proof of purchase. If I end up with Autozone rotors or some other generic OEM replacement, I'll probably switch both of them. EBC always recommends using new pads with new rotors to prevent warping though. I'm happy with EBC's pads, but I don't want to buy a new set if I don't have to.

We'll see what THEY say. I'm just getting tired of dropping $100 a rotor for these aftermarket jobs (now from TWO different companies) only to have them fail or wear out within less than six months.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Welcome to performance braking hell.

roy had told me many, many moons ago that in the long run, a REAL performance brake setup would be cheaper. I had a hard time swallowing the $2K+ price tag to get a set on the car.

But, once I made the jump, it has been incredible. I was able to get into a set of Prospeed Motorsports brakes, brakes scavenged from a Porsche 996TT GT2. Last year, I put 4000 hiway miles with Porterfield R4s's and almost 3000 track miles, going through 2 sets of Pagid Blacks on my car before warping a rotor.

Let me quantify ... I was cracking or warping up a set of AZ rotors in 300 miles and using up a set of Hawk Blues in 600 miles on a C5 upgrade kit. That is a single weekend.

If I had listened to roy in 1999, I would be money WAY ahead. I sometimes don't listen so well ... and it usually costs me $$$$$
Old 03-16-2004, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

So what would you consider a "quality" setup?

I could get Baer Eradispeeds for just the back to replace these, but that's another $300...how well will THOSE hold up? Any idea what's a good aftermarket brake that's going to hold up for at LEAST the life of a normal rotor under normal conditions? I'm NOT a frequent racer. I've had these rotors on for maybe 4 months and haven't raced ONCE.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Brother, if it were me, I'd buy the AZ rotors and realize that I am gonna have to change them regularly.

If you've warped OEM, PS and now EBC rotors, chances are you are harder on brakes than you realize. Understand that "hard on brakes" is a relative term.

Quick Reply: EBC Rotor cracked on inside...could it make this noise?