Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help with lowered ss

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with lowered ss

I have a 98 ss that was lowered by the previous owner my guess is the pro kit I'm looking for some good input as to see is adjustable suspension components are required are just optimum the car is more a toy and will see some track time currently running true duals over the axle and the factory 10 spoke wheels and don't plan on changing them. I already have all non adjustable lcas panhard upper and lower and relocation bracket as well. As subframe connectors not installed any helpful input would be great
Old 02-19-2012, 05:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i'm not really sure what you're asking......what kind of track?........road race or drag strip?
the only thing generally "required" with a lowered car is an adjustable panhard bar to center the rearend.....
what do you want out of the car, what's your final goal?
i had the pro-kit......it sucks NUTZ.....is your rear sagging yet?

Last edited by jc98ss; 02-19-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@jc98ss Let's go in order drag strip I like the way the car looks that lowered but it launches like sh*t above 100 it has a rocking feeling want to improve "bite" a little more and no reared sag I've had the car 14 months idk how much before it was lowered
Old 02-20-2012, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i had **** launches with my pro kit and the bump stops always slammed when i'd hit the smallest pothole or speedbump, not to mention it looked like total *** with the rear sitting slightly lower than the front.......i ended up cutting 1/3 coil off the fronts, then i ordered a set of BMR springs for the rear......it's pretty cool that you can buy a pair for the "rear only", their prices are very reasonable, and the BMR's spring rates are much higher than what you have under there now.......you might already know this, but they're very easy to change out, takes about two minutes per side, you'll notice an immediate difference.....no more hitting the bump stops for me......and unless you're going hardcore track, i wouldn't worry too much about adjustable components except for the panhard bar.....(unless you end up having massive wheel hop while taking off, then you might need adjustable lca's + your relocation brackets)

it's not really recommended to cut springs, BUT it won't hurt anything if you do it the right way either.....don't use a torch or heat, i used a simple air tool cut off wheel, a hacksaw would work too........i did it because i wanted my car to sit more aggressive, basically lower than the pro kit, but not as low as the sportlines.....i'm right in the middle of the two and loving it....

Last edited by jc98ss; 02-20-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:19 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Since your car is lowered, you have decreased the rear control arm angle. Also, since your focus is on drag racing, I would highly reccomend a set of lower control arm relocation brackets. This will allow you to increase your control arm angle to dial back in a positive anti-squat that will help your car hook and get out of the hole. They're $100 for the bolt-in versions and a little cheaper for the weld-in parts. They make a big difference.

As for asjutable parts you may need, you should only need an adjustable panhard bar to bring the rearend back to center from lowering your car. The adjustable lower control arms are only needed for aftermarket rearneds and if you're going to a taller tire. Adjustable torque arms for for adjusting pinion angle - which has no performance benefit - and torque arm relocation crossmember will alter instant center - which is something most people don't get involved with. So I would say the lower control arm relocation brackets are your best investment and then possibly a set of adjustable drag shocks. First and foremost a good tire will be your biggest help.

If you do indeed have the spring kit you're talk about then you may want to look into a spring set more conducive to drag racing performance.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, just let me know!
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Help with lowered ss