Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My suspension mods, Cut factory springs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My suspension mods, Cut factory springs.

I have taken small steps in modding the suspension on my car. So far I am really happy with it. I started with both sway bars when I bought it, check my sig, that helped a lot with body roll. When I had the rear end out I boxed in my LCA's and swapped the bushings out to ureathane type. Next came the heater hose mod which helped get the car sitting level in the back. I was happy with that for a while but really wanted to lower the whole car.

I know a lot of guys will tell you not to cut the springs. I agree with that but, you can cut them and get the effect you want as long as you do not cut too much off. If you cut too much your car will ride like a log truck. In my case I only cut 1/2 coil off all 4 springs. It did exactlly what I wanted it too. I lowered the car just enough for my taste and made it ride like a sports car. I can now say that this car handles really close to my old 96 C4 Corvette. I still have the crappy stock shocks on the car, which replacing those, some subframe connectors, LCA relocation brackets, and adjustable panhard bar will be my next mods. As of right now I only have the $350.00 it cost for the sway bars.

Before cutting with just the heater hose mod

Look at the fender gap in this pic...

This is after the springs have been cut, with heater hose mod as well.

I just wanted to share for someone like me that does not want to slam the car to the ground, that is just looking for a better stance and wants the car to handle better.

Its pretty crazy how much stiffer the car does ride by just cutting off 1/2 coil, so I would NOT cut any more than that. If I want my car any lower I will have to buy springs.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cool thing about hot rodding is there are a ton of different ways to accomplish our goals.

Your car looks sharp. Good job!

Ramey
Old 01-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Love the color as well. The only thing better would be a couple white stripes down the middle. But why cut the springs when you can afford a good set of spring and shocks that are designed to work together?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by aquariussuperman
Love the color as well. The only thing better would be a couple white stripes down the middle. But why cut the springs when you can afford a good set of spring and shocks that are designed to work together?
Like I said thats why I only cut 1/2 coil. Now it rides the way I think it should from the factory. I have read post of guys cutting a full coil off. I can only imagine how those cars ride. I think the factory shocks are not doing to bad a job with the amount I have lowered the car. Mine only have 25K miles on them though. I also read posts where guys talking about the aftermarket springs starting to sag. I will be spending some money on shocks though

Also if you decide to cut use a cut off wheel on an angle grinder, not a torch.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cut springs are just fine. Mine are cut a full coil and paired with a set of Bilstein shocks, and it rides great. It's not slammed like a car on Sportlines but it's just low enough to still have some suspension travel and not scrape on every pebble in the road.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you went ahead and cut a full coil, how much more of a drop do you think you would have got? That looks great, but it just isn't quite low enough for my tastes. I like the way the Sportlines make these cars sit, something close to that stance would be perfect.

I daily drive my car and I'm wanting to lower it pretty bad in the next couple of months, cutting the stock springs is something I've been thinking about. Do you think that cutting the stock coils and keeping the Decarbon shocks on the car for a while would absolutely equal a terrible ride?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine was lowered about a full inch. Sportlines (which are a 2" drop) make these cars way too low IMO. Just getting a jack under the car is gonna be a pain in the *** with a 2" drop, let alone driving over speed bumps and driveways, and there will be no suspension travel left, so the bumpstops will be getting quite a workout.

I think if you're gonna go through the trouble of cutting the springs (which requires taking the front shocks off) you should go ahead and replace the DeCarbons with at least a set of Bilsteins. The ride will be MUCH better since you won't be smacking the bumpstops constantly.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

my car had sportlines on it when i bought it. they have always been too low for me. i think i would rather trade for some factory springs and cut them to my tastes. mine is not a daily driver so it could be down until i got the height right. your car looks good OP.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
Mine was lowered about a full inch. Sportlines (which are a 2" drop) make these cars way too low IMO. Just getting a jack under the car is gonna be a pain in the *** with a 2" drop, let alone driving over speed bumps and driveways, and there will be no suspension travel left, so the bumpstops will be getting quite a workout.

I think if you're gonna go through the trouble of cutting the springs (which requires taking the front shocks off) you should go ahead and replace the DeCarbons with at least a set of Bilsteins. The ride will be MUCH better since you won't be smacking the bumpstops constantly.
You brought up some good points here, a 1" drop is definitely an improvement over stock, maybe I'll go that route instead, then follow up with some quality shocks, that's a much better idea. But like I said, I LOVE the look of the Sportlines 1.75"-2", but it's not really practical to drive it that low everyday. Also, what type of tool did you use to cut your coils?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Would an adjustable panhard bar be REQUIRED for such a mod? The rear isn't being lowered that much. I'm sure it would be a good idea to get one anyway, but would it really be necessary?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
You brought up some good points here, a 1" drop is definitely an improvement over stock, maybe I'll go that route instead, then follow up with some quality shocks, that's a much better idea. But like I said, I LOVE the look of the Sportlines 1.75"-2", but it's not really practical to drive it that low everyday. Also, what type of tool did you use to cut your coils?
A cutoff wheel should do the job.

Originally Posted by mgcook
Would an adjustable panhard bar be REQUIRED for such a mod? The rear isn't being lowered that much. I'm sure it would be a good idea to get one anyway, but would it really be necessary?
No. Not only am I lowered an inch with the stock panhard bar, I have 315s on the rear and as far as I'm concerned it's just fine. If it's off center at all it's negligable, maybe a couple milimeters. Nothing you could even notice.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mgcook
You dont need it but the stocker is stamped out pile of ****. Most aftermarket ones are made of steel tubing which will not flex us much, pluss they have poly bushings in them. Its just a good cheap upgrade.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Latch

Are you saying you cut off a full coil and the car went down 1 inch? I am pretty sure mine went down an inch by cutting off a 1/2 coil. It seems like my front wheel gap is about 1 7/8" and my rear is right at about 2". That’s laying a straight edge across the top of the tire and measuring to the fender/quarter lip. I can really tell mine is stiffer, I know the more you cut the stiffer it gets. If i get a set of bilsteins maybe i will cut another 1/4 spring off to give me a total of 3/4 coil cut off. I do not think the stock shocks can handle any more right now.

Also I had the front struts apart in about 45 min. It wasn’t that bad to do. Just need some coil spring compressors.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by msydow
your car looks good OP.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Did you cut from the top or bottom of the coil? I've been thinking about doing this for a while now as well as doing ws6 sway bars.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ~ReapeR~
Did you cut from the top or bottom of the coil? I've been thinking about doing this for a while now as well as doing ws6 sway bars.
Which ever end of the spring does not taper. Top on rear, bottom on front I think.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Are you saying you cut off a full coil and the car went down 1 inch? I am pretty sure mine went down an inch by cutting off a 1/2 coil. It seems like my front wheel gap is about 1 7/8" and my rear is right at about 2". That’s laying a straight edge across the top of the tire and measuring to the fender/quarter lip. I can really tell mine is stiffer, I know the more you cut the stiffer it gets. If i get a set of bilsteins maybe i will cut another 1/4 spring off to give me a total of 3/4 coil cut off. I do not think the stock shocks can handle any more right now.

Also I had the front struts apart in about 45 min. It wasn’t that bad to do. Just need some coil spring compressors.
It's possible my car has settled down a little more than an inch but I think the first measurement we took ended up being about a full inch lower. Either way I think a full coil is the way to go, as long as you have a decent set of shocks.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, LS1 cars are 4x4 stock.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=96lt4c4;15796128]Are you saying you cut off a full coil and the car went down 1 inch? I am pretty sure mine went down an inch by cutting off a 1/2 coil. It seems like my front wheel gap is about 1 7/8" and my rear is right at about 2". That’s laying a straight edge across the top of the tire and measuring to the fender/quarter lip. [QUOTE]

Let me get this straight. You cut a 1/2 coil off all 4 springs, and the rear ones you eliminated the stock rubber spacer at top replaced with just the heater hose? My car is too low and looking at options.... I have cut springs for people before and have no fear of that....

Thanks for any info!!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Let me get this straight. You cut a 1/2 coil off all 4 springs, and the rear ones you eliminated the stock rubber spacer at top replaced with just the heater hose? My car is too low and looking at options.... I have cut springs for people before and have no fear of that....

Thanks for any info!!
Yes, cut 1/2 coil off all 4 with a cut off wheel with an electric angle grinder, not a air die grinder, that would take forever. Remove the rear isolator, and wrap heater hose around the top of the spring. Check the heater hose mod sticky.

Last edited by 96lt4c4; 01-05-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: My suspension mods, Cut factory springs.