Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

200k... how to rejuvenate the suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 200k... how to rejuvenate the suspension?

Lotta miles. New front endlinks about 30k ago, subframe connectors. Strong engine and all, just rides a little shitty. Any cheap ideas?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say shocks would be the biggest thing to potentially improve your ride.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

struts, shocks, and springs. Just did the same to my car actually.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

If I was doing it I would start with Bilstein shocks that would be your best bang for your buck approx $400 if you can install. then front end bushings and ball joints.....the get up with Founders Performance rear suspension kits
Old 01-04-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I got 210k on my Lt1 bushings and they are in better shape then the ones in my Ls1 which has 64k on it. Just look at what you got and replace whats worn out.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

New shocks (not struts....none to be found on a 4th gen F-body) would be a great start (the mentioned Bilsteins are great if you're planning on sticking with stock springs), along with various bushings and other parts as needed (front/rear LCA bushings, checking how the balljoints and tie-rods are holding up, etc.), and possibly an alignment could really improve how the car rides and handles.

If you're looking to not just improve the ride quality or get it back to stock, but go beyond that and improve the performance, there are other options that can be suggested. New, good quality shocks though are the biggest piece whether you're looking to improve the ride or the handling (and the Bilsteins should do both quite nicely).
Old 01-06-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 140 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by richard head
Lotta miles. New front endlinks about 30k ago, subframe connectors. Strong engine and all, just rides a little shitty. Any cheap ideas?
What's your budget?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Launching!

I am glad this popped up as I am torn between go-fast parts or parts to make the car "better". 143000 and its ridding kinda like poo. I wiill doing iton the cheap too. Will probly go with springs and shocks first, rubber bits as they need replacing and sub-frame connectors. Aaaand some rotors and pads to round out trying to make it feel newer.

Not meaning to hijack but is there a bog difference between bolt on and weld on subframes...besides method of installation?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

x2 on what everyone has said... new shocks and new bushings. BTW don't buy polyurethane bushings, just get brand new rubber bushings.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02 NHRA
Not meaning to hijack but is there a bog difference between bolt on and weld on subframes...besides method of installation?
oh boy, you're asking a question that is a hot button issue. "Which is better? Are they even needed?" It's a separate thread. Search around in the suspension section.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Black Poly Suspension Bushings.. all of them .. get the kit from Summit. Black not Red! You'll think you have a New Car. I did mine I KNOW! Then do the shocks while you're in there. Probably $650 for parts. If you can do it yourself. I did mine and it's not that hard.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Latch
x2 on what everyone has said... new shocks and new bushings. BTW don't buy polyurethane bushings, just get brand new rubber bushings.
I second this, new rubber is the way to go. It will be helpful if we know your budget. Making sure your bushings, ball joints, and tie rods ends are in good shape is a high priority as well. Good shocks and worn out bushings won't help your ride at all.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any reasoning behind this? Does any vendor sell an entire bushing kit for our cars? IIRC energy suspension used to make kits for this type of thing. I have 113K on the clock and would like to freshen up the suspension as well.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Any reasoning behind this? Does any vendor sell an entire bushing kit for our cars? IIRC energy suspension used to make kits for this type of thing. I have 113K on the clock and would like to freshen up the suspension as well.
This is going to start a fight. Owners who have put poly in will come and swear up and down by them. Don't believe them.

There is a reason UMI and BMR no longer sell lower a-arms with poly caster bushings. I would argue poly doesn't belong in most every suspension part, if not all of them.

The stuff is too stiff, and people don't seem to understand how the suspension works. Deflection is REQUIRED in the rear trailing arms, and caster bushings, for the suspension to work as designed. Greasing the hell out of poly bushing doesn't help the lack of it. Grease only eases rotational functions of the bushing, not the other axis's the bushing has to operate on.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ing-fix-5.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ex-system.html

Just to add some back up. Here is a statement about Poly/Poly LCA's from Global West:

"Polyurethane bushings used on both ends of the control arm. This type of a control arm is best used for drag racing. The bushings however, limit the rear end from articulating. Many drag cars can get away with this because of the way the car is set up. If this type of arm is used on the street or road race applications the rear suspension will be placed in bind when the car goes over bumps and around corners. This is because the control arm bushings will not allow the rear end to have proper movement.

Consequences: High speed oversteer, possible over stressing the suspension mount, reduces tire loading during cornering and ride change."

Last edited by lees02WS6; 01-08-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
This is going to start a fight. Owners who have put poly in will come and swear up and down by them. Don't believe them.

There is a reason UMI and BMR no longer sell lower a-arms with poly caster bushings. I would argue poly doesn't belong in most every suspension part, if not all of them.

The stuff is too stiff, and people don't seem to understand how the suspension works. Deflection is REQUIRED in the rear trailing arms, and caster bushings, for the suspension to work as designed. Greasing the hell out of poly bushing doesn't help the lack of it. Grease only eases rotational functions of the bushing, not the other axis's the bushing has to operate on.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ing-fix-5.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ex-system.html

Just to add some back up. Here is a statement about Poly/Poly LCA's from Global West:

"Polyurethane bushings used on both ends of the control arm. This type of a control arm is best used for drag racing. The bushings however, limit the rear end from articulating. Many drag cars can get away with this because of the way the car is set up. If this type of arm is used on the street or road race applications the rear suspension will be placed in bind when the car goes over bumps and around corners. This is because the control arm bushings will not allow the rear end to have proper movement.

Consequences: High speed oversteer, possible over stressing the suspension mount, reduces tire loading during cornering and ride change."

My apologies. Just looking for an honest, non-biased answer to the claim. I'm just an LS1 noob that is trying to give my high mileage car a fresh ride - much like the OP.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

My apologies. Just looking for an honest, non-biased answer to the claim. I'm just an LS1 noob that is trying to give my high mileage car a fresh ride - much like the OP.
I'm not attacking you, just stating it emphatically so it's understood. There are many owners on here who just don't understand these points.

This site is full of drag racers. Many of the vendors cater to drag racing first and foremost, so these points don't seem to get enough air play.

No intent to offend you.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
I'm not attacking you, just stating it emphatically so it's understood. There are many owners on here who just don't understand these points.

This site is full of drag racers. Many of the vendors cater to drag racing first and foremost, so these points don't seem to get enough air play.

No intent to offend you.
None taken, and thank you for clarifying. I read through all posts in both treads you referenced. It's difficult to find an honest answer to many of the questions posted here. Everyone seems to have different intentions and budgets for their vehicle. I personally, enjoy to drive my car, no matter what the distance is. I don't care to run 10's in the quarter mile. I'll have to check out moog for some bushings and strano for some springs. Seems like it hard to go wrong with those guys.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes sir.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=18&ModelID=7
Old 01-08-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks!

Looks like I'll be ordering more than just springs from Strano.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

I am doing same thing. Rebuilding my suspension. And just doing OEM replacement. As for LCAs. I understand BMR can do rubber instead if poly. I agree with lee on not doing poly on the front. For a daily all poly or rod ends gets old fast.

Quick Reply: 200k... how to rejuvenate the suspension?