Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

adjustable or non adjustable

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjustable or non adjustable

What are the benefits to the adjustable and non adjustable. Panhard bars and lower control arms. I'm just a everyday driver, the only racing I do is some grauge matches at the drag strip
Old 01-08-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

From the sticky (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-tech-faq.html):

https://ls1tech.com/forums/6965712-post6.html

and these just doing a search:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...questions.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...a-not-lca.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-question.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-end-lcas.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...dvantages.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-question.html

If you're just driving on the street, you don't need aftermarket LCA's. A panhard bar that is adjustable is useful if you're lowered, or have an off center rear axle, other wise you stay with the stock one.

Last edited by lees02WS6; 01-08-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Teching In

thanks alot
Old 01-08-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know on my car, the LCAs especially were not fun to get in place. I am very happy I got double adjustable so I could put them in, then position as needed.

It would have been a nightmare to install them, check to see if the tire was centered in the wheel well, then pull them back out, adjust and reinstall.

Would have to push and pull the axle to get it in place to put the LCA bolt in while the whole car is on jackstands, hoping it dosent fall on your head.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Teching In

`yeah i have just been looking back and forth on what panhard bar to get. i quess i will just get the double adjustable..
Old 01-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Well I just bought a cheap set of lowering springs. And I'm going to be running nitrous at the track. Hoping to break 7 seconds in the 8th mile. Are LCAs even needed?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1fstwhip
Well I just bought a cheap set of lowering springs. And I'm going to be running nitrous at the track. Hoping to break 7 seconds in the 8th mile. Are LCAs even needed?
There comes a time when power output and launch stress will twist up LCA's. The trick is to install UMI's before that time comes.

As for adjustable vs non-adjustable. It's always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If I had a car which I knew was completely straight and a rear which I knew was perfect as far as brackets go, I'd run non-adjustables not problem. Also, for street driving I'd definitely run non-adjustables without hesitating.

As Valkyn mentioned above, it's sooooo nice to have that option to adjust if you ever need it.

For PHB's it's so nice to have double adjustable so you can dial that baby in. For stock street driven never lowered vehicles, I'd most certainly trust a solid bar, after all your car had one on it from the factory. Ours is just like that but better. If you're honest with your suspension goals, sometimes you can save a few bucks with no negatives.

ramey
Old 01-09-2012, 11:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

For the relatively small difference in price, adjustables insure that you never have an issue. Different rear axles have their brackets welded and it's not within a few thousandths of an inch either, that's an example of where adjustable LCA's can be helpful. If you know your thrust angle isn't messed up now and you are staying with the same rear axle then non-adjustables would be fine.

Same with the PHB, If you ever lower the car, or want to just move the body a little you need adjustable one to do it... and the price difference in very, very small. I've got the entire UMI product line, as well as a few others I really never sell because UMI is the best value.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

For a daily driver, you just set them and rarely change them. If you are an auto-crosser and aggressive canyon carver, get the adjustables.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Teching In

well i just purchased the umi adjustable phb. now im on the look for some LCAs thanks alot everyone
Old 01-10-2012, 07:43 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the UMI purchase!

Have you decided on adjustable or non-adjustable?

ramey
Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Teching In

i went ahead and bought adjustable. i just some lowering springs so i will need it
Old 01-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

As for LCA's I run Global West's non andjustable. They have a spherical bearing on the rear end side and a rubber bushing on the frame side. They're great, I've really enjoyed them. I also have UMI's PHB and it is a very nice piece.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Banned

i twisted my stock lca's which is stamped steel. it twisted it enough the car would pull hard to the right. I got umi on car adjustable poly roto joint lca's. then i got my thrust angle set to 0. All of my suspension in the rear is adj. that is why i can launch hard.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Teching In

now that you say that your car pulls the right.. mine pull real hard to the right. i do plan on getting the umi adjustable lca's. how do you set your thrust angle?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:48 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1fstwhip
now that you say that your car pulls the right.. mine pull real hard to the right. i do plan on getting the umi adjustable lca's. how do you set your thrust angle?
Thrust angle is when the rear tires are completely parallel with each other (or toed in properly just a hair) but not on the centerline of the car. Basically it's like you lengthened one link an 1/8 inch and shortened the other and 1/8 inch.

If you have your differential brackets out of square, a pickup point on the chassis tweaked, etc, the thrust angle can be off. The adjustable LCA's allow you to skew the rear tires perfectly straight ahead.

ramey
Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

I am ordering umi adjustable lca and adjustable phb not sure of the difference between adjustable and double adjustable? also when I go to adjust them how do I know how to adjust it correct just by looking at it?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:23 PM
FormerVendor

Single adjustable features a single rod end which requires removal of the LCA or PHB main bolt to turn the actual rod end and make the length change.

Double adjustable use a R and L threaded portion which allows adjustment via turnbuckle and doesn't require removal of a fastener.

To know when your diff housing is centered, hang a nut from a string taped to each rear fender lip. Measure to the face of the sidewall and adjust until both measurements are equal.

And thanks for considering UMI!

Quick Reply: adjustable or non adjustable