Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

99 ss camaro front suspension steering brakes on a 67 firebird

Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 99 ss camaro front suspension steering brakes on a 67 firebird

I have a 1967 Pontiac Firebird. dumI recently purchaced a complete ls1 motor and 4l60e auto transmission from a 1999 Camaro SS. dumWith the purchase i also recieved the front clip,(front subframe, complete with control arms, rack and pinion, disk brakes, motor mounts, suspension), and the stock gm 10 bolt rearend from the SS (complete with disc brakes also), and the driveshaft. dumMy question is; dumare any of these frontend parts interchangable with my stock '67 parts? ie - dumsuspension, brakes, rack and pinion, maybe the entire subframe? I know the rear end would have to be modified for leaf springs or the 67 modified to accept the 99 suspension. Any help is appreciated
Old 01-12-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The '99 car is a totally different animal, from the '67. Although you already have the front end parts from the '99, you might consider selling them, taking the money from that, and buy an updated front subframe that's FAR more compatible with your car, from Detroit Speed and Engineering. Their front frames use C-5 Corvette suspension parts, for a real upgrade over the stock '67 parts.

With respect to the rear end, I hate to give you more bad news, but the OE '99 rear end isn't all that strong, and you'd need to do a fair amount of modifying to get it to fit the '67. I'd simply purchase either an aftermarket 12 bolt axle or 9" Ford rear axle, either one already having the proper spring perches and axle lengths for the '67.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, i appreciate the reply.

Search this Thread