Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

best suspension mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best suspension mods?

Hello i have a 2000 z28 with about 450whp. I have no suspension mods done but SFC, and LCA. Im looking at what is important to add. Im not lowering the car at all so thats out of the question. Also adjustable or non adjustable parts? Thanks in advance for any info. Oh and also its a street car with some strip time and i dont go crazy around corners.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The next thing I would do would be lower control arm relocation brackets, they will give you much better straight line traction and performance. After that I would look into a non-adjustable torque arm since you are not going to be lowering the car and torque arm relocation crossmember which will allow you to get the torque arm off the tailshaft housing of the transmission. You are going to also probably going to want to look into shocks and sway bars at some point.

I generally recommend adjustable stuff but it really comes down to each situation and what the customer is looking to do. Adjustable LCAs are always a good idea especially if you are going to run a larger tire or you use weld-in relocation barckets. For your situation I would recommend non-adjustable panhard rod and torque arm since you say the car will never be lowered.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Yea i havent decided on shocks yet and what sway bar should i look into? Also do you recomend a adjustable phb on a stock level car or no? I have lcas that are non adjustable but may change them out if need be.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluvette28
Yea i havent decided on shocks yet and what sway bar should i look into? Also do you recomend a adjustable phb on a stock level car or no? I have lcas that are non adjustable but may change them out if need be.
Shocks are goona be tough in your situation. if you want to stick to more street oriented stuff I would look into Bilstein or Tokico shocks. If you wanted something more drag oriented you could do a single adjustable Strange shock on the front and Competition Engineering 3 way adjustable shocks on the rear.

Since you are not going to be lowering the car a non-adjustable PHB will work just fine for you.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Launching!

What about a sway bar what do you suggest?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

Hello i have a 2000 z28 with about 450whp. I have no suspension mods done but SFC, and LCA. Im looking at what is important to add. Im not lowering the car at all so thats out of the question. Also adjustable or non adjustable parts? Thanks in advance for any info. Oh and also its a street car with some strip time and i dont go crazy around corners.
What is the percentage of time you spend on the street vs the strip? Shocks are the best all around suspension upgrade. Beyond that, it's the regular wear items: Tires, bushings, and tire rods ends.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Launching!

I go to the strip maybe 3 times a year and i put about 1200 miles on it a year.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x2 what Lee said - shocks are, by far, the best and most noticible upgrade you can make to the suspension. Bilsteins if you're on a budget, Konis if you can spare a little more (Sam Strano has the best prices + customer service)... then probably Qa1s if you're spending more time at the track
Old 01-16-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

I go to the strip maybe 3 times a year and i put about 1200 miles on it a year.
Since your staying at stock height, Bilsteins all the way. Great shock for a street car, won't break the bank either. As for adjustable vs non-adjustable suspension parts, I'd stay with stock parts on a street car. Wheel hop might be annoying at the track, but you only go three times a year, and I can't see sacrificing any street livability for that. I'm might do an adjustable PHB on the rear if it's noticeably off center, especially with wider wheels.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Shocks, TA relocation kit/trans cross member, adjustable TA, and a adjustable PHB.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have SFCs, and LCAs already. Get bilsteins, and front/rear sway bars and you'll have a nice affordable suspension setup.

Quick Reply: best suspension mods?