Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LCA install.. broken bolt >.< Also a question about weld in components

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCA install.. broken bolt >.< Also a question about weld in components

So I got the driver side LCA installed, went in pretty easy. Moved on to the passenger side, and the nut end of the bolt sheared right off, and I can't get it out. I have tried just about everything - turning it out with the wrench, turning it out with pressure on the broken end, tried hammering it through, tried using the air chisel to hammer it through, I even tried cutting the bolt on the inside of the LCA mount between the bracket and the bushing, but I can't cut through the damn bolt. It must be extremely strong. I've gone through 3 blades with no progress.

It's been soaking in PB blaster for the last 2 days, and NOTHING I've tried has worked to get the bolt pushed out through the hole. Anyone got a trick or suggestion on how to get this SOB out?

I also have a question about some weld in SFC's and LCA relocation brackets I've got. What type of welding should be done on them, and where could I go to get these welded in? There aren't any speed shops around here, and I don't know where I can trust to weld these in properly.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 01-16-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Ballinonabudget
So I got the driver side LCA installed, went in pretty easy. Moved on to the passenger side, and the nut end of the bolt sheared right off, and I can't get it out. I have tried just about everything - turning it out with the wrench, turning it out with pressure on the broken end, tried hammering it through, tried using the air chisel to hammer it through, I even tried cutting the bolt on the inside of the LCA mount between the bracket and the bushing, but I can't cut through the damn bolt. It must be extremely strong. I've gone through 3 blades with no progress.

It's been soaking in PB blaster for the last 2 days, and NOTHING I've tried has worked to get the bolt pushed out through the hole. Anyone got a trick or suggestion on how to get this SOB out?

I also have a question about some weld in SFC's and LCA relocation brackets I've got. What type of welding should be done on them, and where could I go to get these welded in? There aren't any speed shops around here, and I don't know where I can trust to weld these in properly.

Any help is greatly appreciated
An angle grinder with a cutoff wheel will make short work of that bolt. MIG welding is fine for the SFC's and relocation brackets. I guess try a body shop.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Banned

The only local place I could find to weld in my SFC's and LCA relocation brackets quoted me $250.... doesn't that seem a little high for just basically 6 simple welds? Especially considering I'll have all brand new parts and hardware? The LCA's will come off like butter with the new bolt kit...

Still struggling with this damn broken bolt.. I don't have a grinder, just the sawzall and it's losing the battle lol....
Old 01-17-2012, 06:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are your brackets weld-in only or bolt/weld? I certainly wouldn't spend $250...
Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Banned

They are weld in only I believe, but they did come with a hardware kit with metal sleeves for what looks like where the bolt goes between the bracket. I believe they are Spohn - here's what they look like.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...ge.php?pID=700

Yeah the quote was 250, to weld in both the SFC's and the LCA relocation brackets.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trust me a cut it off or cutting torch or plasma cutter.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Banned

I finally got it cut off with a grinder, what a PITA! Just had to do the same for the panhard rod. Man all this brand new red suspension stuff looks SEXY In the last 3 days I got in - springs, shocks, rear swaybar, LCA's, panhard, LT headers, 3600 stall, DS loop. WOOT!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ i use those and they bolt in was pretty easy install. and 250 is way to much. you dont have a monroe or something around you? like a muffler shop? those guys are always pretty good welders
Old 01-17-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

250 is a little steep but ypu have no choice.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ballinonabudget
They are weld in only I believe, but they did come with a hardware kit with metal sleeves for what looks like where the bolt goes between the bracket. I believe they are Spohn - here's what they look like.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...ge.php?pID=700

Yeah the quote was 250, to weld in both the SFC's and the LCA relocation brackets.
Those brackets are indeed weld in only. The bolt which replaces the previous suspension bolt is mainly a locator. On our bolt ins we use that bolt plus an additional tab going to the shock mount to keep it from pivoting.

You can see the extra tab in the installation images here: http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=117

I agree as above, make friends with a muffler shop or similar and ask them beforehand if they'll weld your stuff in. Make it easy for them by grinding paint and undercoating off, grind the SFC's and LCARB's shiny where they're going to be welded and so on. Make it so perfect all they need to do is weld.

Another option is to find a local race team guy to do it. Do you have any oval tracks or dragstrips near you? Call their office and ask them to hook you up. Racers are happy to help.

ramey

Quick Reply: LCA install.. broken bolt >.< Also a question about weld in components